J. L. Henderson, a native of Johnson County, Ind., was born December 3, 1828, and is the son of Thomas and Mary (Demott) Henderson. The father was born in Botetourt County, Va., in 1800, and died in Johnson County, Ind., in 1862. He was the son of Thomas and Mary (Erwin) Henderson, natives of Ireland. Thomas Henderson, Sr., was born about 1756, and died in Johnson County, about 1839. Thomas, the son, was reared in Virginia, and on reaching his majority, removed to Kentucky, where he was married to Mary Demott, who is a native of Mercer County, Ky. She was born in 1801, and is now living in Johnson County. Her marriage was blessed by these children: William T., Mary A., Margaret L., James L., Harvey, David M., Robert E., John C., Isaac S., Martha E. and Jane E. After the marriage of their parents, they came to Johnson County, in 1825, and settled in Hopewell, in Franklin Township. The father was a blacksmith by trade, and a farmer by occupation. James L. was reared on a farm, and in youth, learned of his father, the blacksmith’s trade, but has never followed it as an occupation. His life occupation has been farming. His father settled on and entered the land on which the Hopewell Church now stands, then a dense forest. He donated the ground on which the church and academy are situated. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and was a man who was always ready to aid the church cause. The mother is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and resides with her youngest son. He has been blind for over thirty years. She has been a faithful wife, mother and friend, and enjoys the high esteem of all who know her. In 1855, Mr. Henderson married Mary A. Lagrange, born in Johnson County, September 6, 1836, and died in Johnson County, March 9, 1869. The following are the children of this marriage: C., Robert C., Martha E., Margaret A., Clara E. January 24, 1871, Mr. Henderson married for a second wife, Maggie J. Vanarsdall, the daughter of C. and Nancy J. (Clem) Vanarsdall. Mrs. Henderson was born in Johnson County, Jun 7, 1851. The offspring of this marriage are: Newton G., Thomas E. and Stella J. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson are members of the Presbyterian Church. He owns 160 acres of land, of which 130 acres are under cultivation. He is a member of Hopewell Church.