GARDINER WILKES was born in Johnson County, Ind., April 9, 1831, and is the son of John and Elizabeth (Dunham) Wilkes. The former was born in Mason County, Ky., October 13, 1799, and is the son of John Wilkes, a son of Joseph Wilkes, a native of England. Our subject's father was married in Brown County, Ohio, to Elizabeth Dunham, who was born in Kentucky, April 18, 1804. John and Elizabeth Wilkes came to Johnson County, Ind., in 1830. The father was a farmer by occupation, and died in this county in 1854. The mother also died in this county in 1875. Their marriage resulted in the birth of the following children: Dunham, who died in early life; Gardiner, Sophia, Elizabeth and Cyntha. Gardiner was reared on a farm, and attended the Franklin College, where he received a practical education. He remained with his parents till he reached his majority, and then began the battle of life for himself as a carpenter; later he began teaching in the public schools, and taught some five or six years. After suspending teaching, he began merchandising at Waverly, Ind. He merchandised for about five years at various places, and later took up farming as an occupation, and for several years past he has been actively engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1869, he located in White River Township, where he has since resided. In 1859, he was united in marriage with Macenia Miller, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Miller. Mrs. Wilkes was born in Jennings County, Ind., February 9, 1832. The above marriage has resulted in the birth of two children: Flora Belle and Dessie, the former died in infancy, and the latter died at the age of twenty-one. Mr. and Mrs. Wilkes became members of the Presbyterian Church several years ago, but recently joined the Mt. Auburn Methodist Episcopal Church, which is near their residence. In politics, Mr. Wilkes is a democrat. He served as trustee of White River Township two terms. He is a Master Mason of the Greenwood Lodge, which does not now exist.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker
Banta, D.D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.