African Methodist Episcopal Church, Franklin, was organized in the year 1868, with the following members: Augustus Hammond, Mary Leonard, Mary Elkins, Jane Blakely, and Mary Stark, Rev. Whitton Lankford officiating. The following pastors have ministered to the church from time to time: Revs. Henry Brown, Henry Depew, Hezekiah Harper, Joseph Alexander, Whitton Lankford, John Fergerson, Daniel Winslow, Alexander smith, John Jordan, M. Lewis, Richard R. Titus, Nathaniel Jones and George Pope. The pastor in charge at this time is Rev. John Fergerson. The building in which the congregation meets for worship, a frame structure on West Madison Street, was erected and dedicated in the year 1868. Present membership, fifty-five. Class leaders, Adam Moore and Charles A Pettiford. Stewards, Charles A. Pettiford, John Fossett, Hillery Moore, Charles Jordan and John Pettiford.
Transcribed by Lois Johnson
Banta, D.D.. History of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888. p 872