Glade Methodist Episcopal Church (Pleasant Township).—The history of this flourishing society dates back to a very early period in the settlement of the part of Johnson County embraced with the present limits of Pleasant Township. The first meetings were held in what was known as the Glade school-house, near the eastern boundary of the township, as early as 1840, by Rev. Mr. Huffaker, who, the year following, organized a small class, among the first members of which were the following: John L. McClain and wife, Henry McClain and wife, Jesse McClain and wife, Jacob Peggs and wife, Sophia Cummings, Sarah J. Cummings, Elizabeth Cummings, Moses McClain and wife, Isabelle Peggs and Nancy Peggs. Of the original members all have passed from the scenes of their early labors, except Sarah J. McClain (née Cummings), Elizabeth Lemon (née Cummings), and Jacob Peggs. The school-house was used for a meeting place six or eight years, after which a frame temple of worship was erected upon ground donated for the purpose by Elijah Cummings. This building answered well the purposes for which it was intended until the growth of the congregation made a house of larger proportions necessary, when a more commodious structure was erected on land of Benjamin Draper, a short distance east of the original place of worship. The present house is a frame edifice, well furnished, and represents a capital of about $2,000. Among the early pastors of the church are remembered Revs. J. V. R. Miller, ‐‐‐‐ Havens, ‐‐‐‐ Winchester, J. W. McMullen and William Goodwin. The church is in a prosperous condition with the names of nearly if not quite 200 members upon the records. Present pastor, Rev. C. W. Tinsley.