Mt. Zion Baptist Church (Trafalgar) was formally organized June 8, 1844, at what was known as "School District No. 1," a short distance from the town of Trafalgar, by Elders Reece and Chandler. A council from Franklin, Second Mt. Pleasant and First Mt. Pleasant churches, was convened for the purpose of constituting the organization, and after a sermon by Elder Reece, the following persons were formally organized into a Regular Baptist Church: Frederick Ragsdale, Sarah Ragsdale, Simpson Sturgeon, Sarah Sturgeon, William M. Clark, Martha Clark, Annie B. Lee, Mary Sturgeon, Absalom Clark, Samuel Sturgeon, Burgess Wagoner, and John W. Ragsdale. Of the above, only two are living: Sarah Sturgeon and John W. Ragsdale. Other early members are the following: Martha Eaton, Henderson Ragsdale, Lucinda Ragsdale, Mary Sturgeon, Jane Alexander, Mary R. Forsyth, Martha Hunt, Nicholas Selch, Mary Cole, Lucy Vandiver, Thomas Clemmer, James M. Buckner, Helen Sturgeon, Harrison Halbert, James Sturgeon, Lucy Clark, E. A. Clark, Margaret M. Clark, Isabelle Clark, Nancy Shoemaker, Elizabeth Featherngill, Jackson Adams, Mrs. Adams, William Lee, Martha Long, Rebecca Sturgeon, Nancy Warren, John High, Isom Bridges, Elizabeth Bridges, William M. Clemmer, and others. Elder J. Reece was called to the pastorate in 1844, and the same year a committee was appointed to select a suitable site for a house of worship. The ground chosen was "one acre on the northeast corner of Steth Daniel's land," and in October, 1845, a frame building, 30x40 feet in size, was decided upon by the committee. The house was not erected until some time later. It was a frame structure, and answered the purposes for which it was intended until 1866, at which time the present large building village of Trafalgar was erected. This house is in size, 36x50 feet, and cost the sum of $2,500. The following ministers sustained the pastoral relation to the church at different times: Roberts, Ragsdale, Buchanan, Parker, Barrow, Smith, Moore, Murphy, Hall, and Stewart. Present 140.
Banta, D.D.. History of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker