Pleasant Hill Methodist Protestant Church (Clark Township).—This flourishing organization dates its history from the year 1836. The first minister of the M. P. Church in the “Hurricane” neighborhood was Rev. Mr. Cable, who, by invitation, preached at the residence of David Parr, as early as the above year. Subsequently, Rev. Peter Clinger became his associate, and the result of their labors was the organization of a Methodist Protestant Church, consisting of the following families: Samuel Overstreet and wife, David Parr and wife, Milton Knapp and wife, Henry McAlpin and wife, Lewis Jones and wife, and Nancy Yager, all of whom are now dead. In the year of 1836, a place of worship was in demand, and the new organization united with the Baptists and United Brethren, in building the old log church known as “Friendship,” which was used as a place of worship by the three denominations; also, as a school-house. This old log church was built in the years of 1836 and 1837, on a lot donated by the late Harvey Sloan, of Franklin, and now occupied by the Hurricane Baptist Church. Samuel Overstreet appears to have been the first Methodist Protestant trustee. The first Methodist Protestant pastor was Peter Clingler, who was followed by George Baxter, John Williams, Thomas Shipp.
From 1840 to 1842, the church had the joint services of T. Shipp and C. H. Williams as pastors, and Isaac Wills and wife became members of the church. From 1842 to 1843, T. Shipp was pastor. From 1843 to 1845, the church had the services of James Edmeston as pastor, In February, 1844, the Methodist Protestant Church resolved to build for themselves a separate place of worship, and, having secured a beautiful lot (deeded to, and held in trust by, Milton Knapp, Jackson Williams and Lewis Jones, as trustees), began immediately to build the old frame church known as Pleasant Hill Methodist Protestant Church, situated on the Hurricane pike four and a half miles north east of Franklin, in Clark Township, Johnson County, Ind. From the years 1845 to 1848, H Collings was pastor; from 1848 to 1851 T. Shipp; from 1851 to 1854, J. Gardner. From the years 1854 to 1855, I. W. B. Taylor was pastor. Others who followed were: T. Bland, T. Shipp, J. Bogle, S. M. Gentry, George Hunt, Joseph Proctor, H. Duckworth, S. M. Louden, O. R. Carlton, A. S. Baker, H. Stackhouse, A. W. Motz, C. Caddy, E. Conn, H. M. Boyer, S. H. Flood and M. Gustin, John Heim, J. H. C. McKinney.
At the conference of 1879, the church, having been left without a pastor, was supplied by S. T. Deekens and Prof. J. H. Martin, during whose services the building of the present church building was begun. Early in January, 1880, the church, having decided to build a new house of worship, elected a building committee, consisting of J. W. Davis, Rufus Williams, S. W. Dungan, John Ballard, W. W. McCaslin, George Cutsinger and T. B. Wood, through whose efforts the subscription was raised, and under whose supervision the contract was let for the building. The present building is built of brick, is 38x60 feet, finished and furnished in the latest style at a cost of $6,000. The contract for constructing the building was let on the 14th day of March, 1880, to Robert Wagoner. The building was commenced in April, 1880, and completed October 1, of the same year, and was dedicated to the worship of God on the 10th day of October, 1880. Since 1879 the church has been ministered to by the following pastors: J. M. Langley, F. M. Hussey, J. L. Barclay, and the present membership is 100.
Transcribed by Lois Johnson
Banta, D.D.. History of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888. pp 872-873