Shiloh Church, Cumberland Presbyterian (Needham Township), was organized about the year 1835, in a school-house one mile north of the present site of Amity village, Rev. Alexander Downey officiating. Among the charter members, seventeen in number, were John Kerr and wife, David Alexander and wife, John Alexander and wife, John Gribbin and wife, James Taylor and wife, John Taylor and wife, and John R. Kerr and wife. The first house of worship, which was not erected until several years after the organization, stood about a half mile north of Amity. For some reason not now known, this building was never completed. In 1852, a frame house was erected about three and a half miles southeast of Franklin, Needham Township, on land donated by James Taylor. It was a fair building, and answered the purposes for which it was intended, until 1882. In that year the present temple of worship, a beautiful frame edifice, 32 x 42 feet, was built on the same lot at a cost of $1,600. The following list embraces the majority of the pastors of the church since its organization: Revs. Elam McCord, James Ritchey, J. W. Neely, G. W. Edmondson, W. D. Hawkins, N. D. Johnson, L. J. Hawkins, A. Hunter and the present supply, U. L. Montgomery. Present membership, 100.
Banta, D.D.. History of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker