Shiloh Presbyterian Church Union Township The Shiloh Presbyterian Church was organized on the 5th day of October, 1832, at the residence of James Wylie, by Rev. David Monfort, the following persons presenting certificates of admission: Jesse Young, and Margaret, his wife, from Strait Creek Ohio; Rebecca Clark, Rachel Titus, and Rachel Young, from West Union, Ohio; and John Young from Franklin, Ind. Jesse Young was elected, ordained and installed ruling elder, and it was unanimously resolved to call the new organization the Shiloh Presbyterian Church. Before July, 1834, four additional members were received, all upon examination: Joseph Young, Mary Young, Thomas Titus and Mary Titus. The congregation had occasional preaching until July, 1834, when the first church building was erected. The first meeting in this house was held July 30, 1834, Rev. David Monfort preaching, and ordaining and installing an additional ruling elder, Joseph Young. From this period until 1840, the church records show an addition of thirty-one members. From the same source it is learned that from the organization, until 1887, 243 members had been received into the church, of whom, only twelve were remaining July 1, 1887. It was in the decade between 1840 and 1850, that old log meeting house was removed, and the present tasteful frame structure erected in its stead. The value of the present building and grounds would be from $600 to $800. Pastors and stated supplies: Revs. David Monfort, William Sickles, David V. Smock, James H. McKee, Robert M. Overstreet, John Lyle Martin, Benjamin T. Wood, Mr. Lee, J. Quincy McKeehan, W. W. Sickles, John King, Nathan L. Palmer, B. F. Wood, A. C. Allen, Arthur Naylor, Horace Bushnell, Michael M. Lawson, Mr. Reeves, Robert Herron, Henry C. Cave, Edward N. Post, Daniel B. Banta, L. L. Larimer and Josiah Pugh.
Banta, D.D.. History of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker