Methodist Church (Williamsburg). —This society is the successor of an old class which was organized in the vicinity of the village as early as 1824 or 1825. Of the early history of the class but little is now known, save that meetings were held in private residences for a number of years, and that is was disorganized some time prior to 1850. A re-organization was effected in 1853, with about thirty or forty members, and the same year witnessed the erection of a house of worship in the town, the one now used by the congregation. Among the ministers since the re-organization were Revs. Talbott, Rice, Woods, Fish, and later, Thomas Jones, J. B. Alley, Mr. Clouds, Thomas McClain, James Jamison and Isaac Turner. The church is quite feeble, numbering at this time only twenty-five members. The stewards are. Green B. Cobb and O. P. Burgett. The Sunday school under the efficient superintendency of Daniel Britton, has an average attendance of about sixty scholars.
Banta, D.D.. History of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888. pp 866-867
Transcribed by Lois Johnson