Church (Colored), Franklin, was constituted about the year 1872 or 1873, with
eight members, a number which has since increased to ninety-three. The first deacons were Samuel Elkins
and Squire Moore. The following
ministers have sustained the pastoral relation: Revs. Mr. Singleton, Thomas
Robinson, Mr. Winyard, Ephraim Tyler, William Harris, George Smith, and the
present incumbent, Rev. David Slaughter.
A frame house of worship was built on West Madison Street, in 1878, and
formally dedicated the same year.
The officers of the congregation are: M. Clark, Anderson Beaty, and
Edward Blakemore, deacons, and H. Clark, clerk. Mr. Blakeman is also
superintendent of the Sunday school.
Banta, D.D.. History
of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker