(Primitive) Baptist Church, Nineveh Township, was organized a number of years
ago, and is now one of the oldest religious societies in the southern part of
the county. Of its early history but
little is known save that the Bass, Roberts, Hensley, Davenport, McNutt,
Hoolman and Hughes families were among the first members. The organization was brought about by
the labors of Elder Hiram T. Craig, a preacher of fine ability. He preached for the Bethlehem
congregation a number of years.
The first house of worship was a log structure which stood near where
the present one now stands. It was
used several years, but finally gave place to the frame building in which the
congregation now meets. The society
is not as strong in numbers as in the early days of its history, having lost
quite a number of its members in recent years by deaths and removals. Services are regularly held by the
pastor, Elder E. D. Herrod.
Banta, D.D.. History
of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker