Edinburg Catholic Church.—The first priest to celebrate mass in Edinburg was Rev. Vincent Bacquelin, who visited the village as early as 1836, and held services in the house of Mrs. Tierney, one of the early settlers of the community. At that time there were but few Catholics in the neighborhood, but in 1845, John Walsh, Dr. William Rush and Michael Fogarty settled here, and two years later came Mrs. Hannah Ryan, mother of James, Thomas and Richard Ryan, and Sister St. Charles. In 1850, the Catholic population was increased by the arrival of Thomas Fitzgibbon, James Mullen, Michael Moffett, Michael Lynch, Michael McGrayee and Henry Sweetnam, all of whom proved valuable additions to the church. Services were held at different places until 1851, at which time a neat frame temple of worship was erected in the western part of town on a beautiful eminence overlooking Main Cross Street. The building was blessed by Bishop De Saint Palais, assisted by Revs. William Doyle and Daniel Maloney, and named Holy Trinity. For several years Edinburg was the center of the Columbus, Franklin, Seymour, Henryville, Greenwood, Brownstown, Taylorville, Mt. Erin and Mt. Liberty missions, and consequently became an important point in the Vincennes diocese. The first building was used until 1886, when it was replaced by the present handsome brick structure, at a cost of $5,000. This is one of the finest church edifices in Johnson County, and reflects great credit upon the congregation. The present membership is about thirty families.  The following is a list of pastors who have ministered to the church from time to time: Revs. Vincent Bacquelin, 1835–46; Daniel Maloney, 1846–55; Edward Martimoore, 1855–62; F. Goesse, 1862–64; Joseph Petit, 1864–65; William Henry Orem, 1865–67; D. J. McMullen, 1867–68; Victor A. Schnell, first resident pastor, 1868–70; John Louis Brassart, 1870–71; Victor A. Schnell, 1871–18—. The present pastor is Rev. Anthony Oster, who holds services every alternate Sabbath, and at intervals in the meantime. The congregation is in a prosperous condition, and has before it a promising future.

Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker

Banta, D. D. History of Johnson County, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888, pages 874–875.