CHRISTIAN CHURCH is the successor of an old society which was organized a short
distance north of the town in Marion County, as early as 1838 or 1839. In the
fall of 1837,George Shortridge moved to the locality from Wayne County, and
being a devoted member of the church, soon induced preachers to visit the
neighborhood, and hold public services in his dwelling and barn. In order to
build up a serviceable church of his own choice, Mr. Shortridge, about the year
1840 or 1842, erected a small house of worship on his farm, in which an organization
was soon effected. Among the earliest members of this society, were Mr.
Shortridge, Charles Robinson and family, James Webb and wife, and a few others,
whose names have been forgotten. Services were held regularly for several
years, by Elders L. H. Jameson, Asa Holingsworth, and other pioneer ministers
of the Reformation, but owing to the unsettled condition of the early residents
of the community, many of whom were transients, the society soon lost the
majority of its members, and was in course of time abandoned. Early in the
fifties, exact date unknown, a society was organized in Greenwood, with which
several of the members of the old church at once became identified. Among the early
members of the Greenwood society, were the following: William Blake and wife,
Joseph Harmon and wife, John Shortridge and wife, George Oldaker and wife,
Edward Pate and wife, James Pate, Simeon Frazier and wife, Mrs. James Stewart and
Hugh A. Morris. The village schoolhouse had been purchased a short time
previous, and fitted up for church purposes, and it was in this building that
the organization took place. The schoolhouse was used as a meeting place for
several years, but the constantly increasing congregation eventually made the erection
of a building, of enlarged proportions, necessary. Accordingly a lot in Dobbin's addition was donated by Dr.
Guthree, and within a short time thereafter the present beautiful brick temple
of worship was erected at a cost of $4,500. The building is well finished and furnished, and will
comfortably seat an audience of 500 people. The church has enjoyed the labors of a number of able
ministers, among whom may be mentioned Elders R. T. Brown, Elijah Goodwin,
William Patterson, W. R. Couch, Dr. Huff, E. L. Frazier, John C. Miller, S. R.
Wilson, J. A. McCallum, and Hall.
The first elders of the congregation were Hugh A. Myers, William Blake
and Joseph Harmon. There is at
this time but one elder, George Robinson.
Average attendance about seventy-five, including teachers.
Banta, D.D.. History
of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker