Hurricane Baptist Church (Clark Township) was organized about the year 1840 or 1841, as a branch of the Franklin congregation, and continued as such about three years, when it was constituted an independent organization.  The following were among the earliest members: Stephen Tilson, Lemuel Tilson, and wife, James Tilson and wife, Mrs. John Brown, John Whitesides, Even Bennett and wife, Conrad McClain and wife, and James Whitesides and wife.  The organization was effected by Rev. Benjamin Reece, who preached for several years thereafter, holding meetings in the old log building, known as Friendship Church.  Later, about the year 1851, a frame building was erected on ground where the old house stood, and served the purposes of a place of worship, until the growth of the congregation made the erection of a larger house a necessity.  In 1879, the present handsome temple, a brick edifice, representing a capital of $3,200, was erected.  The following is a partial list of the pastors of Hurricane Church: Revs. Benjamin Reece, John Reece, Ragsdale, Miner, Todd, Elgin, Edwards and Hall.  The present membership is 138.
 

Banta, D.D.. History of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888.
Transcribed by Cheryl Zufall Parker