First Mount Pleasant (Franklin Township), one of the oldest Baptist churches in Johnson County was constituted July, 1828. The following were among the earliest members:  Henry Byers, Elizabeth Byers, Peter Zook, Margaret Zook, Seaton Beadles, John Garshwiler, John Brunk, Aaron Mitchell, Nolly Kilbourn, Mariah Vaughn, James P. Beadles, Lamenta Beadles, Elizabeth Zook, Polly Helms, George Burkhurdt, Elizabeth Burkhardt, Sarah (Byers) Leach, Benetta Beadles, George P. Bartlett, Thomas Bartlett, Nancy Roberts, Francis Elliott, George Bridges, Polly Harbert, Cynthia Warren, Matilda, Brunk, Paul Harbert, Margaret Harbert and Abraham Brunk. One of the first preachers was Rev. John Reece, who held meetings in a little log school-house which stood a short distance from the present church building. About the year 1837, or perhaps a little earlier, dissensions arose in the church, between the conservative and the progressive or missionary elements, the result of which was a division of the congregation. In May 1838, the difficulty was partially adjusted by a re-organization under the original name, since which time the society has been known as a Missionary Baptist Church. The re-organization was brought about by the efforts of Rev. A. R. Hinkley, and the following persons were enrolled as members:  Henry Byers, Peter Zook, Batson Dennis, John Herrell, Stephen Rollens, Aaron Zook, Adam Cofman, Elizabeth Byers, Margaret Zook, Emarine Jones, Paulina Herrell, Margaret Harbert, Mary Rollens, Phebe Townsend and Polly Harbert. The present membership is seventy-five. The following ministers sustained the pastoral relations at different times: Revs.  A. R. Hinkley, John Reece, D. Huston, E. J. Todd, J. W. Ragsdale, R. M. Parks, N. C. Smith, J. M. Barrow, L. e. Duncan, Robert Moore, T. J. Murphy, c. C Palmer, and J. C. Rhodes. The first house of worship was a log structure erected a number of years ago, and used until the building of the present edifice. The present church building is a brick [sic], well finished and furnished, and stands about five miles southwest of Franklin, on the Martinsville turnpike [sic].

 

Banta, D.D.. History of Johnson County, Indiana 1888 . Chicago, IL: Brant & Fuller, 1888. pp 849-550

 

Transcribed by Lois Johnson