Number 2, near the Shelby County line in Needham Township, was
organized about the year 1834, by Rev. Samuel Hardin, with about eight members,
among whom were the following: Joseph Reece and wife, John Webb and wife, and
John Duckworth. Meetings were held
in private residences and schoolhouses for about eight years, when a frame
building was erected on land donated for church purposes by Jesse Beard. This was a fair building, and answered
the purpose of a meeting place until the erection of the present substantial
brick edifice about the year 1867 or 1868. The present building is 35x65 feet, and represents a value
of $4,500. The church has enjoyed
the labors of quite a number of pastors, among whom are remembered the
following: Revs. Benjamin Reece, Mr. Glessner, E. J. Todd, Mr. Blood, John
Reece, Mr. Edwards, R. M. Parks, John W. Ragsdale, T. W. Jolly, F. M.
Huckleberry, G. H. Elgin and W. T. Vancleve. The pastor in charge at this time is Rev. P. O. Duncan. The church is in a prosperous
condition, numbering about 300 communicants. The present deacons are William Reece, Jesse Beard and John
R. Ragsdale; clerk, William Fisher.