Whiteland Methodist Episcopal Church.—The organization of which the present class of Whiteland is an outgrowth, was founded a number of years ago at the residence of Martha Lamasters, about three quarters of a mile southwest of the present site of the village of Whiteland. among the early members were a Mr. Crawford, Mrs. Lamasters, Isaac Clem and wife, Creed Dawson and wife, and John Smith and wife. The first meetings were held at the residence of Mr. Lamasters, and later a school-house about three miles south west of Whiteland served the congregation for a place of worship. Early in the forties, a log house especially for church purposes, was built a short distance west of the present site of Whiteland, and was known in the early years by the name of Mt. Vernon. It was used until the growth of the congregation made a more commodious building necessary, when a frame structure was erected, about two miles west on the land of David Smith, and the name changed to Pleasant Grove Church. Here the congregation met and prospered until 1881, at which time it was mutually agreed to erect a buildings in Whiteland, and move the organization to the village. Accordingly a beautiful frame edifice costing $2,000, was built that year, and since its completion the society has been making substantial progress in numbers and financial strength. For the first few years the church was an appointment of the Franklin circuit, and later it was attached to the Greenwood circuit. The majority of the preachers mentioned in connection with the Greenwood class, ministered to the Whiteland church at different times. Pastor in charge at this time, Rev. C. W. Tinsley. Present membership, 120.