HATTON, Strode Dawson

Date of birth: 5 Oct 1897 Shelby County, Indiana
Date of death: 13 Apr 1933 Taylorsville, Bartholomew County, Indiana

Columbus Evening Republican, Thursday, April 13, 1933

Milkman Killed As Truck Hits Wagon on State Rd 31




Taylorsville — Stroder D Hatton, 35, of Edinburg, was killed almost instantly this morning at 2:00 o’clock when the horse drawn milk wagon he was driving was struck by a large truck on road 31, one mile south of Edinburg. Coroner C.M. Jackson, of Elizabethtown, who investigated the case asserted that death was due to injuries received in the accident. Hatton’s chest was crushed, one arm was broken and he was badly mangled. The accident occured on rd 31 a short distance from the driveway leading to the Compton Dairy. Hatton, an employee of Compton, had just left the dairy enroute to Edinburg to make morning deliveries.

HORSE GALLOPS AWAY - He drove the horse on the highway and had proceeded only a short distance when the wagon was struck from the rear by a large International truck driven by William H Robbins of Cicero, IN. The truck was owned by Floyd J. Six, of Gwynnville, IN and was laden with cigarets and tobacco en route to northern IN. When the crash came the horse broke loose from the wagon and galloped all the way into Edinburg. The wagon was carried a distance of about 120 feet by the truck where it left the highway and crashed against a fence post, according to the Sheriff J.W. Foust, who was called to investigate.

DIDN’T SEE IT IN TIME - Sheriff Foust stated that the wagon was crushed to pieces and that Hatton was in the wreckage. Soon after the accident an Edinburg undertaker, the coroner and sheriff were called. Milk and broken bottles were scattered along the highway for some distance. Robbins told Sheriff Foust that a short distance before reaching the point where the milk wagon was traveling , he dimmed his lights for an approaching automobile. After meeting the car he said he turned his bright lights on again and for the first time he saw the milk wagon, but did not have sufficient time. Robbins was accompanied in the truck by his wife. They were not injured and the truck was only slightly damaged. Hatton’s body was removed from the scene of the accident to an Edinburg morgue. Charles Durham, of Edinburg was en route on road 31 a quarter of a mile south of the scene when the crash occured. He was the first to arrive.

Hatton is survived by the widow and one daughter, Norma Jean. He was the son-in-law of Mrs. Maude Snead of 1115 Union St, Columbus, and was well known in both Edinburg and this city.

HAD FEAR OF WRECK - Mr. Hatton has been employed by the dairy for more than a year. Frequently, it was learned today, he had told friends of his fear that someday he would have an accident of this sort, because of the many trucks traveling the highway during the early morning. He always drove into town on the highway, although there is a dirt road easily accessible. The body was taken to the Farr & Gosney mortuary in Edinburg, after Coroner Jackson had returned a verdict of accidental death. Later it was removed to the Hatton home on Kyle street.

WELL KNOWN MAN - Mr. Hatton was born in Shelby Co, near Edinburg, on Oct 5, 1897, the son of Frank and Mary Johnson Hatton. He spent most of this life in Edinburg, where he was well know and respected. He was a faithful member of the Edinburg Methodist chruch and was active in the affairs of the Class No. 15 of the Methodist Sunday School. July 25, 1918 he was married to Miss Marie Snead, and two children were born to this union. A son, Donald, preceded him in death, having died four years ago. A daughter, Norma Jean, age 9, survives, together with his widow and the mother, Mrs. Frank Hatton, and a sister, Mrs Ray Carvin, all of Edinburg, and another sister, Miss Reba Hatton, now employed in Cleveland, OH. Funeral services, in charge of the Rev. George Curtis, former pastor of the Edinburg Methodist Church, now in Vernon, will be conducted from the Edinburg Church, Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Interment will be made in the Rest Haven Cemetery.

Submitted by Jo Ramseyer