MARDIS, Beulah Mae (Holcomb)
Date of death: 8 Mar 2009 Franklin, Johnson, Indiana
Franklin Daily Journal, March 10, 2009
Beulah Mae Holcomb Mardis
Beulah Mae Holcomb Mardis, 104, passed away Sunday, March 8, 2009, at the Franklin United Methodist Community health care center after a short illness. She was a lifelong resident of Franklin.
She was born Nov. 29, 1904, to John Zenas and Hattie (Alexander) Holcomb. She married Hubert E. Mardis, who preceded her in passing in January 1936.
Survivors include two daughters, June (Andrew) Wood and Margaret Mardis, both of Franklin; a son, John (Ollie) Mardis of Bargersville; six grandchildren, Andrew M. Wood and Angie Mardis-Hughes, both of Franklin, Gary Mardis of Jim Falls, Wis., Amy (Mardis) Hazelett of Raymond, Kan., Carol (Mardis) Kusters of Omaha, Neb., and Rex Mardis of Indianapolis; 14 great-grandchildren, Kelly (Wood) Edwards, Andy Joe Wood, Kevin Mardis, Riley Mardis-Hughes, Daniel, Michelle and Trevor Mardis, Lynn, Lori and Nathan Manring, Joshua and Matthew Kusters and Steven and Michael Mardis; and 21 great-great grandchildren.
Mrs. Mardis' son, Dean H. Mardis, and his son Steven both died in 2000.
Mrs. Mardis lived on the farm where she was born and lived in the same house for 102 years. It is located on Greensburg Road in the Shiloh community. She was a longtime member of Shiloh Community Church, where she taught Sunday school and played the piano. She began attending there as a child with her parents, when the church was Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
She attended School No. 9, a one-room schoolhouse, for six years, then attended Kitty Palmer School (later it became the boys club), moving on to Alva Neal School (Franklin High School) for high school.
She went to Franklin College for two years with the class of '26, then transferred to Madam Blaker school for teachers, which became part of Butler University.
Not realizing her certificate was still valid to teach, she worked at several other jobs. She worked at Arvin and Camp Atterbury, and as head seamstress and made drapes for L.S. Ayres and Co.
She began her teaching career in 1954 at Trafalgar and the next 15 years at Whiteland, teaching third grade and remedial reading.
After retiring, she gave painting lessons in her studio for many years and produced many of her own lovely paintings there as well. She continued her study of art by attending classes at several colleges and universities, once attending a summer school in Guadalajara, Mexico.
When she was 93, she was asked by author Beezer Johnson to design the book cover for his "Franklin, a Pictorial History." She participated in many shows and exhibits, including an extensive exhibition in 2005 at the Johnson County Museum of History. She became a renowned artist in the area.
Mrs. Mardis had current membership in Johnson County Retired Teachers, Daughters of the American Revolution, Hoosier Doll Club and Indiana Farm Bureau. She had been active as both a member and leader in the 4-H club. She was a life member of Franklin Home Extension Club and was active with the Johnson County Museum of History.
She will be sadly missed by family and friends.
A funeral service will be conducted at 10 a.m. Friday at Shiloh Community Church, 5117 E. Greensburg Road, Franklin. Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Flinn & Maguire Funeral Home, 2898 N. Morton St. (U.S. 31 North) in Franklin. Burial will be at Greenlawn Cemetery in Franklin.
Submitted by Lois Johnson