Historical Society, Inc.
Proudly We Salute . . Our Men in
Supplement," LaGrange, Indiana, Thursday, November 13, 1969.
All material has been transcribed by
site coordinator with
permission from Bill Connelly, Publisher. Mailing addresses and
photos have been omitted. All personal information was copied as
"This section contains pictures and
addresses of LaGrange County men now in the military forces.
They were supplied by the men's families. The main purpose of
those sponsoring this salute is to say THANKS to the men who defend our
country, particularly those now risking their lives in Vietnam. A
second purpose is to remind everyone of the priceless contributions
by all our military in all wars - especially those men who never came
home. And a third purpose is to suggest that you write a letter
to some of these men you know - or to some you didn't know. Mail
Call can still be the happiest - or saddest - part of a serviceman's
day. Just tell them "thank you."
- S. Sgt. Gene Cramer works in personnel for R.O.T.C. at Bowling Green
State University. He completed an assignment in Vietnam and has
also been stationed at Colorado Springs, Colo. Cramer is the son
of Mr. and Mrs. Gailard O. Cramer of Lake-of-the-Woods, Hudson.
- Sgt. Larry D. Coney, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Orval Coney
of Wolcottville Route 1, is now residing with his wife, Rebecca, in
Columbia, S. C. Sgt. Coney served three and one half months in
Vietnam when he was wounded in action and returned to Fort Jackson, S.
C. He will complete his term of duty in March 1970.
- T. Sgt. Joseph L. Tritch is assigned to Malmstrom Air
Force Base in Montana. His wife, the former Linda Garty, and five
children reside at Lake-of-the-Woods and plan to join him during the
- Pvt. Danny R. Sutton is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Amos
Sutton of South Milford.
- Pvt. Larry Kline is serving in the U.S. Army at Fort Knox, KY.
- Pfc. James M. Hodge, the son of Mr. and Mrs. George
Hodge of near South Milford, is now stationed in Vietnam.
- Pvt. E-2
James R. Norris, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Victor Norris of LaGrange, is
serving at Fort Knox, KY. His wife, Sharon, resides at Terre
Jeffrey R. Claussen, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard D. Claussen of
South Milford, is presently serving in the U. S. Army, at Fort Knox, KY.
- Sgt. Jack
VanWagner, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Basil VanWagner of Wolcottville
route 1, has been serving in Guam since June, 1969. His wife,
Ilona, and daughter, Lisa, reside at Holyoke, Mass.
- Sp4c, Michael
R. Hall is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Hall of Mongo.
Hall is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Hall of Mongo.
- Pfc. James R.
Gick, son of Mrs. Virginia Gick of Mongo, is presently serving in the
U. S. Army at Fort Bliss, TX. He is a graduate of Prairie Heights
High School and is married to the former Sandra Heltzel.
- Pvt. Michael A. Tribble, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Richard E. Tribble of Shipshewana Lake, has just completed basic
training at Fort Knox, KY. He will next be stationed at Fort
Polk, LA., where he will be a food service apprentice.
- Elmer L. High, the son of Mrs. Nellie J. High of
near South Milford, entered the U. S. Air Force in 1954. He has
been to the North Pole, the South Pole, served twice in Vietnam and
once in France. High will be eligible to retire after four
additional years of service. His wife, Barbara, and children
reside at Avilla route 2.
. - Pfc. Charles E. Hall Jr. is now assigned to Camp
Lejeune, N. C., following a year's service in Vietnam in the U. S.
Marine Corps. Hall is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles E. Hall Sr.
of Lake-of-the-Woods, Hudson.
- Pfc. Craig A. Walker, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Darl
Walker of near South Milford is married to the former Karen Beers.
- Pfc. John C. Traster is serving overseas with the
seventh Army Division.
- Sp4c. Gregory L. Wert is the son Mrs. Maxine Wert of near
South Milford and the late Ian Wert.
Rex A. Wear
- 2nd Lt. Rex A. Wear, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Luther Wear, is now
assigned to Fort Knox, KY.
- Sp4c. Dana McClellan, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Forrest McClellan of Nashville, is a member of the U. S. armed forces
assigned to South Korea. He is the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Lan
Case of Mongo.
- Darl W. Rhoades, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph
Rhoades of LaGrange, was selected an honor man of his company upon
completing basic training in the U. S. Navy at Great Lakes, Ill.
Rhoades has now been assigned to Avionics Fundamental School at
- Gerald Gary Eash, HMI, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Gerald F. Eash of LaGrange route 1, is in the U. S. Navy serving a tour
in Taipei, Taiwan. His wife, the former Dorothy Ann Draper of
Wolcottvile route 2, is with him in Taiwan. They have three
children, Mark, Robbin, and Brad, who all attend school there.
- Sp4c. Murry L. Whitlock, the son of Mr. and Mrs. W.
M. Whitlock, is now stationed in Vietnam. Whitlock also served in
Germany for ten months. His wife, the former Luan Strom, and
daughter reside in Sturgis, Mich.
- Sgt. LaMar D. Wright, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Donald
Wright of White Pigeon, Mich., route 2, is stationed at Maxwell Air
Force Base, Ala. He is a 1965 graduate of Shipshewana-Scott High
School and plans to attend college upon completing his four years of
service in January 1970.
- Richard L. Foltz SHB2, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Reuben
Foltz of Howe route 3, is stationed in Spain. Also with Foltz in
Spain are his wife, the former Waneta Norris, and daughter Katrina
- Cpl. Barry Lynn Holcomb, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Robert P. Holcomb of LaGrange, is a member of the Marine Corps in
Kansas City, MO.
Bruce A. Okeley
Pvt. Bruce A.
Okeley, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Dale Okeley of Wolcottville route 2, is
serving with the U. S. Army in Fort Knox, KY. He is married to
the former Rebecca Hooley of LaGrange.
- Sp4c. John E. Jackson, the son of Mr. and Mrs. George
A. Jackson Sr. of Shipshewana route1, is serving with the armed
services at Bambert, Germany.
- Sgt. Gene Haskins, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Maynard
Haskins of Howe route 3, is a 1968 graduate of Indiana University and
plans to enter law school upon completion of service. Sgt.
Haskins is now serving in Vietnam.
- Sp4c. Richard Jay Adams, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Jason Adams of Wolcottville route 2, has been serving with the U.S.
Army in Vietnam since May 15, 1969.
- Sgt. Robert D. Borntrager is the son of Mr. and
Mrs. Dan C. Borntrager of Topeka.
- Sgt. Ronald J. Rose, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Arno J. Rose
of Mongo, is serving at Stewart Air Force Base in Tenn. Sgt. rose
and his wife, Patricia, live in Smyrna, Tenn.
- S. Sgt. Phillip E. Atwater, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Marion Atwater of LaGrange route 4, recently returned from Turkey and
will be stationed at Camp Mead, MD. He and the former Carol
Vaughn of LaGrange were recently married.
- Sp4c. Stephen Brill, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh L.
Brill of Wolcottville, entered the U.S. Army August 5, 1968.
- Sgt. John L. Grossman, the son of Mr. and Mrs. John
C. Grossman of Wolcottville route 2, is now serving at the Hahn Air
Force Base in Germany. Grossman is married and his wife and
daughter reside in Wilmington, O?.
- S.Sgt. Arthur D. Atwater, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Marion Atwater, recently married the former Patricia Huff of LaGrange.
- Sp5c. John P. Campbell, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm.
E. Campbell of Wolcottville route1, is now stationed at Fort Dix, NJ,
following a Vietnam assignment. He and his wife Jeanette, reside
at Haddonfield, NJ.
- Alc. Robert O. Greenwalt is the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Robert E. Greenwalt of Hudson route 1. Greenwalt is assigned to
the Grand Force Base in ND.
- Pfc. Raymond E. Marchand is the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Raymond Marchand of LaGrange. Private Marchand is now on an
overseas assignment in Landstuhl, Germany.
- Pfc. Joseph I. Hicks is on an overseas assignment at
Wertheim, southeast of Frankfurt, West Germany. His wife, the
former Jane Sue Pant of LaGrange route 3, is with him in Germany.
- Sp4c. Max R. Powers, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Max S.
Powers of LaGrange route 3, graduated from Prairie Heights High School
and entered the U.S. Army in August of 1968. Powers is now
serving in Vietnam near Cam Lau as a motor maintenance man in the motor
pool. He is married.
- Sgt. Doyne C. Strater, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Cedric
Strater of near South Milford, is stationed in Korea.
- Sp4c. John E. Fought, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Howard
Fought of Topeka route 2, is on an overseas assignment. Fought
works in a personnel office and also drives a truck. His wife,
Sandra, and son reside with his parents in Topeka.
- Sgt. Curtis A. Leu, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Leu of
LaGrange, is now assigned to England Air Force Base in Louisiana as a
supervisor of jet mechanics. Sgt. Leu served two terms of duty in
Vietnam and will have completed four years in the U. S. Air Force in
- Pfc. Rex Lynn Combs, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Bernard
Combs of LaGrange, is a member of the U. S. Army serving at Fort Bragg,
- Pvt. Stanley G. Tropp, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank
Tropp of Mongo, is assigned to Fort Knox, KY. He is married to
the former Jean Bell of South Milford.
- Sgt. Gene A. Elliott, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Sherrel
M. Elliott of Howe route 2, is a 1964 graduate of Orland High
School. Elliott served 13 months in Vietnam, returning in
November 1968, and is now on an assignment in North Carolina. He
is married to the former Susie Hackett of Howe.
- CS2 Randolph E. Reed, the son of Mr. and Mrs. John C.
Reed of LaGrange, has been stationed in the Philippine Islands since
August 1968. Reed enlisted in the U.S. Navy in January
1966. He is married to the former Joyce Templeton and they have
- Charles Roy Hill, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert and
Ellen (Church) Hill of Plato, is assigned to the Naval Air
Station at Memphis,
completing basic training in the U. S. Navy at Great Lakes, Ill.
- Sp4c, Richard Lee Eash, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Harvey E, Eash of Howe route 2, is presently serving with the armed
forces in Thailand.
- Sgt. Burvel E. Lemings is the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Elmore Lemings of LaGrange.
- Anthony Brent Mickem, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Melvin
Mickem of LaGrange route 1, is serving with the U.S. Navy in
- L. Cpl. Rex David Whetzel, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Harry Whetzel of Wolcottville route 1, is a 1968 Lakeland graduate now
serving in the U.S. Marine Corps.
- L. Cpl. Michael J. Schuhler enlisted in the U. S.
Marine Corps November 15, 1968, and has been in Vietnam since May
1969. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Robert H. Schuhler of LaGrange route 1.
- Pvt. Gary H. McDonald enlisted in the U. S.
Marine Corps Sept. 1, 1969 and began basic training at San Diego,
Calif., October 1, 1969. Private McDonald is the son of Mr.
and Mrs. Burney if LaGrange.
- Sgt. John P. Carney, the son of Mr. and Mrs. John R.
Carney of laGrange, has been serving in Okinawa since February
1969. Of his three years in the air force he has served a year in
Vietnam and an additional month of temporary duty there.
- Sgt. Duane E. Feller has been stationed at Udorn Air
Force Base in Thailand since December 1968. His wife and baby
daughter reside and LaGrange route 3. Sgt. Feller is the son of
Mr. and Mrs. Maynard Feller of Howe route 2.
- Pvt. E-2 Jerry L. Woodworth, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Elmer Woodworth, is serving in the U.S.Army at Fort Polk,
Louisiana. He and his wife have two daughters, Luetta J. and
- serving aboard the U.S.S. Guston Hall in
Vietnam waters, will complete his service in the U.S. Navy in February,
1970. Williams is a 1963 graduate of LaGrange High School and
married to the former Diana Biro of Racine, Wis., where she now
resides. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. James. F. WIlliams of
- Frederick R. Oakley, having served in the U. S. Navy
for three years, has returned to Washington where he will locate for
another year. Oakley is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson Oakley of
LaGrange and is married to the former Pandora Hughes.
- S. Sgt. Stan L. Hochstetler, the son of Mr. and
Mrs. Sam Hochstetler of Topeka, is serving at F. E. Warren Air Force
Base In Wyoming. He is married to the former Elaine Baker of
- Sp4c John R. Hall, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur B. Hall
of Adams Lake, Wolcottville, is an artillery repairman serving in Plei
Ku, Vietnam. He and his wife, have a son, John Jr.
- Sgt. Douglas Wayne Levitz, the son of Mr. and
Mrs. Charles and Kathryn (Campbell) Levitz II, is serving with the
armed forces in Vietnam.
- Sp4c. Gary Lee Levitz, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles
and Kathryn (Campbell) Levitz II of LaGrange route 2, is now serving in
- Pvt. Tony Holsinger, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph
Holsinger of Howe route 2, recently completed his basic training.
- Elvin D. Newman joined the U.S. Air Force in 1963 and
is now stationed at Fairchild Air Force Base. His parents, Mr.
and Mrs. Elvin Newman, report that he has been in all 50 states.
- Michael R. Newman, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Elvin
Newman, is now serving in the U.S. Army in Vietnam. His wife,
Debra, resides in Sturgis, Mich.
- Capt. Eugene Appleman, a service career man, is the
son of Mrs. McKinley of LaGrange route 2. While now serving his
second tour of duty in Vietnam, he is expected home sometime in
December to return to Fort Jackson, S. C. His family resides in
- Sgt. Robert L. Smith, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Carl F.
Smith of Wolcottville route 1, enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in
January 1967. He was a former employee of Sealed Power.
Smith was TYD overseas for four months and will leave in December for a
second month four-month duty.
- Sp4c. Richard E. Tribble Jr. is the son of Mr. and
Mrs. Richard E. Tribble Sr. of Shipshewana Lake and is a 1968 graduate
of Westview High School. Sgt. Tribble is a cook stationed at Quan
Loi, Vietnam. In addition to two brothers, Edward and Ronald, at
home , another brother, Mike is stationed at Fort Polk, LA.
- Sp5c. James P. Hall is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Hall
- Sgt. Larry L. Frick, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard
Frick of Mongo, will soon complete a tour of duty in Vietnam.
Upon his return to the United States he will serve until July 1970,
when he will be discharged.
- S.Sgt. James Whitlock resides in California with his
wife, the former Sharon Kay Scarborough, and their 2 children.
Sgt. Whitlock received training at Chanute Air Force Base in Illinois,
and also completed service of 13 months in Vietnam before being
assigned to Beale Air Force Base in California.
- Pvt. Kenneth D. Chistner, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Wilbur Christner of Topeka, graduated from Fort Knox, KY., October 24.
- Sgt. Ben R. Helmuth, the son of Mrs. Marjorie Helmuth
of LaGrange, is now serving at Westover Air Force Base, Mass.
- Sp4c. Edgar L. Patrick, the son-in-law of Mr. and Mrs.
W. Whitlock, is serving with the armed forces at Fort Carson,
Colo. His wife lives at Colorado Springs.
- Sp4c. Corby L. Charles is on an overseas assignment in
the armed forces.
- Gordon L. Charles is serving with the armed forces at
Fort Rucker, Ala.
- Sp4c. Harry L. Miller, the son of Mr. and Mrs.
and Ruby Miller of Wolcottville, is a graduate of Wolcottville High
School and Manchester College. He is married to the former Diana
Buffington of Adam's Lake.
- Sp4c Richard C. Notestine is now assigned to
overseas service in Vietnam. Notestine's parents are Mrs. Ruth
Mcnabb of Mongo, and Charles Notestine of Dayton, OH.
- Charles D. Benedict, the son of Mrs. Norman Dueslar
of LaGrange, is a Hospital Corpsman Third Class at The Portsmouth Naval
Hospital at Portsmouth, VA. He and his wife, the former Pamela
Gerren of LaGrange, and two children reside in Virginia.
- Sp4c. Gary C. Sturgis, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard
F. Sturgis of LaGrange route 2, is married to the former
Carol Grabe, who is now living with her parents in Sturgis,
MI. Sturgis has been assigned to overseas service in
Vietnam for the last nine months.
- 2nd Lt. Stephen R. Damer graduated in March form Officer
Training School at Lackland Air Force Base, having had jet pilot
training. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Roger Damer of
Howe route 3. Lt. Damer, now serving at Webb Air Force
Base, Texas, resides with his wife, the former Margaret Humberd of
Winona Lake, at Big Springs, Tex.
- Sp4c, Pat Frain, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Atlee Frain of Topeka, is
serving with the 82nd Airborne Division in Vietnam. His wife
Carol, resides with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sylvanus Frey of
- Sgt. Max A. Litke, who has been stationed at Cam Ranch
Bay, Vietnam, since July, 1969 has been in service three years and is a
graduate of Lakeland High School. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs.
Lowell Hostetler of LaGrange route 4.
- CS SN Dennis E. Bellaire has served to years in the
U.S. Navy as a second Baker at the Naval Amphibious Base in Coronado,
Calif. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Elmore Bellaire of LaGrange.
- SA James P. Fisel, the son of Mr. and Mrs. James
D. Fisel of LaGrange route 4, enlisted in the U.S. Navy in February
1969. At present he is serving aboard the U.S.S. Caliente.
- Pfc. Amos C. Yoder, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Andy A.
Yoder of LaGrange route 4.
2006 LaGrange County Historical
This site was
designed and is maintained by the Site Coordinator's for the
LaGrange County Historical Society. These pages may be
copied for individual personal use. These pages may not be reproduced
in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations or
persons. Copied text must contain this copyright notice.