Published Thursday, June 10, 1915
Plymouth Weekly Republican

The full account of the accidental shooting of Earl SNYDER was given in Friday's issue. The young man lived till a little after seven o'clock in the evening. All that could be done by the best of medical skill was tried, but there was no help for him, and he died from the effects of the gunshot wound.

The body was taken to the Leonard undertaking rooms and prepared for burial. At nine o'clock Saturday morning he was taken to the home of his parents south of Inwood, and the funeral took place from the Dunkard Church in West township at three o'clock Sunday afternoon.

It is a very sad case, and the bereaved parents and other relatives have the sincere sympathy of all.

(NOTE: The Plymouth Republican was a weekly newspaper published each Thursday. The reference to Friday's paper is confusing and could not be located.)

The Plymouth Weekly Democrat
Published Thursday, June 10, 1915

Earl Snyder Accidentally Shot Dies Of Wounds

Receives full contents of loaded shotgun into his side.

Claims gun was in hands of small boy - shooting was accidental.

Dead Man Was Speeded Eight Miles To Hospital - Lies in Critical Condition.

Earl Snyder, the unfortunate victim of the shotgun accident that occurred in the barn of Simon Zehner, at Wolf Creek, Friday noon, died in the Plymouth Hospital at 7 o'clock in the evening. The physicians realized from the first there was no hope. The shot had torn a large hole into his body, carrying portions of his clothing along with the shot. The shot entered the lower part of his back and ranged upward and stopped just below the heart. The young man was conscious for a few hours then gradually lost consciousness as his life ebbed away. The body was taken at 1:30 o'clock Saturday morning to Undertaker Leonard's rooms, where it was dressed and placed in a casket and Saturday was taken to the home near Inwood.

The way the accident occurred is as follows: Earl, who was working for Mr. Zehner, had driven in for dinner. He unhitched the team and was leading the horses into the barn. One horse had gone inside and the barn door was slided wider for the other horse. The shotgun stood against this door inside and as the door opened the gun fell to the floor. Mr. Zehner, reached down for the gun and as he raised it up it ws discharged with Earl about three or four feet from the barrel. Mr. Zehner was so completely overcome by the tragedy that he was unable to start his machine for help, and Mr. Zumbaugh, who had come to the scene got a machine and rushed to Argos for medical assistance. Mr. Zehner has been rendering all assistance possible.

In the few seconds' meeting of the father with his son in the hospital, it would seem that Earl sought to tell his father how the accident occurred. The father heard him say that Orval had the gun and shot, but here he collapsed and could not speak any further. The facts are as above given. The sliding door caused the gun to drop and in hastening to pick it up by the little boy it exploded. No one is responsible and it was all purely accidental.

Friends from Inwood brought the father to Plymouth again during the night and he was present when the body was taken to the undertaker's. Many kind friends are rendered the stricken family every assistance possible.

The young man was 21 years of age. Besides the parents he had four brothers and four sisters. The brothers are Otto, Gordon, Clifford and Johnny, all at home. The sisters are Mrs. Orpha Sullivan, Elva, Adine and Dorothy, the three latter at home.

The funeral was held Sunday at 3 p.m. from the Dunkard Church in West Township.

Return to Deaths Page

Return to Cemetery Page