Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Martin County
Indiana


Cemeteries

 Martin county currently consists of six townships, Mitchelltree, Halbert, Lost River, Rutherford, Center and Perry.  For genealogical purposes, the nine townships referenced in the Martin County Genealogical Society's 1970's cemetery transcriptions are used here. Those are Mitchelltree, Center, Perry, Lost River, Halbert, Baker, Brown, McCameron and Rutherford.

In 1941 the United States Navy Bureau of Ordnance established  the Crane Naval Ammunition Depot, named for William M. Crane who served in the War of 1812. Now called the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane, the facility occupies a large portion of Martin County and extends into neighboring Greene and Lawrence Counties. It is the third largest naval installation in the world by geographic area and employs over 4,000 people.

A number of Martin County cemeteries are located within the confines of the facility and are cared for by the Public Works Directorate at Crane, available to families by appointment only.

Cemeteries Located on Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane

Cemeteries by Township                                    All Cemeteries