The Alaska Christian Church, originally the Liberty
Church of God, was organized in 1836 by Elder Street
Cox, Benjamin Edwards, John Brown, and Daniel Y. Smith.
A frame church was built in 1838, but was later
abandoned due to a rise in membership. Members traveled
as much as nine miles to attend service at the church
even though there were other churches nearby. When
membership rose to 200, the need for a new church was
recognized. A location was chosen between Lewisville
and Alaska and the current brick structure was erected.