The village of Crown Center was originally known as Mount Tabor. It was located five miles west of Monrovia, Indiana on State Road 42, a short distance past Twin Oaks Road (825 West), where State Road 42 makes a 90 degree curve to the south. On the map it is shown north and south of the highway in Section 12, Adams Township, Morgan County, Indiana. Only the Mount Tabor Christian Church, on the southeast corner of the highway curve remains as a landmark of the former town. The Crown Center School was next to the church at one time, but no trace remains, and the Curtis School is unrecognizable due to the exterior remodeling. It is now a private residence. The Crown Center Farmers Market (shown below) is just south of the Church on State road 42.
The Staleys, in 1825 or 1826, were probably the first settlers in Adams Township. Early settlers in the area of Crown Center (Mount Tabor) are reported to have been Bright Pruitt, Garland Gentry, David Curtis, Eli Pruitt, and Jesse Pritchett. By the 1840s there were four schools in place and several churches in the township.
The area was called Mount Tabor from about 1856 when the Christian Church was organized. Henry E. Warmouth opened a post office on March 27, 1891. The name Mount Tabor was already in use so he applied for the name Crown Center.
At the turn of the century, Crown Center is reported to have been a busy little town with a church, school, two stores, a blacksmith, and a doctor's office. Doctor McClure was a typical country doctor who practiced in Crown Center and Lake Valley, also known as Chiseltown, to the west. Around the same time, George Warmouth had a horseracing track near the crossroads at the western end of town.
The post office was offically closed on May 15, 1905 and mail was forwarded to Stilesville, in Putnam County