Minetree, also known as Menietree, Meintree, and Billtown was located in the northwestern part of Ashland Township, north of State Road 42. The nearest crossroads was the intersection of 1375 West and Rhodes Road (540 North). It was one-half mile east of Putnam County. On the map it is shown in Section 6 of Ashland Township, Morgan County, Indiana.
The area of Minetree became known as "Billtown" because of the nickname of the local school, Ashland's Mannan School No. 7. The name may have been because of the large number of boys named William in attendance at the school or due to the influence and philanthropy of William C. Mannan.
In modern times farms and homes dot a landscape of pastures and fields that were once vast forests. Alaska and Lewisville were the nearest villages of note in the township.
Early settlers in the area of Minetree are listed in the 1884 Blanchard's "Counties of Morgan, Monroe and Brown, Indiana" as; Abe Fletcher in 1837, J.W. Gladson in 1838, James Ogle in 1838, Richard Bittle in 1839, and Isaac Bolden in 1839.
Sometime after 1856 William C. Mannan purchased land and moved to the area of Minetree. In Ray Township his family was already making it's civic mark by helping to found the Samaria Baptist Church and starting a school. He continued the family commitment to community by donating the land and building Mannan School No. 7, which was later known as "Billtown". The nickname may have helped to distinguish between the two Mannan Schools since there was also one in Ray Township. William also donated the lot for the Amity Missionary Baptist Church which was south of Minetree.
Minetree was never platted or incorporated.
A post office opened by Walter S. Moss on May 25, 1900 suggests there was a store at that time but all traces are gone. The post office closed on February 28, 1903.