Wakeland was located about three miles east of Lewisville at the intersection of Lewisville Road (300 North), and Wakeland Road (800 West). The school stood in the southeast corner of Section 13 of Ashland Township, Morgan County, Indiana.The remains of the Wakeland School mark the only reminder of a bustling little town with three sawmills, a store, and a post office from 1864 to 1904. The town of Rattsville, which was once one-half mile west, was the closest twentieth century neighbor. Rattsville residents used the same school and churches, in about the 1920s and 30s. The former town of West Salem, to the southwest, also was a close neighbor. West Salem declined by
Early settlers in the area of Wakeland, Indiana were; William Evans, who settled in Section 18, in 1825, and Solomon Watson, who came to Section 18, in 1829. Other early landowners were: Adam Lingle Senior, 1829, H. Knox, 1833, Lewis Tucker, 1834, Eli Pomeroy, 1836, John Wingler, 1836, James Foster, 1838, and John Fouts, 1839, in Section 13. Section 24 shows George Knoy, 1829, Henry Hedrick, 1831, John Knoy, 1832, Lewis Tucker, 1834, and James Foster, 1838. Section 19 is not listed, but records show, Henry Ratts, Henry and David Hedrick, and Jacob Johns bought land in the 1830s.
Wakeland, Indiana was named for Preston D. Wakeland, a Civil War veteran, who fought in the battles of Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, and Atlanta. The town reportedly had three sawmills and a store from 1864 to 1904. The post office was established on December 29, 1884 and closed June 15, 1904. The postmasters were listed as Wingler and Knoy.
In 1842, Ashland Township did not exist, however, Ray Township tax records for that year show David Hedrick, Henry Hedrick, Ephraim Ratts, John Shuler, Adam Lingle, Lewis Tucker, and John Wingler resided in the area of Wakeland.