Organized December 18, 1901
Mrs. Frances M. Haberly
The Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter was organized on December
18, 1901 and was the eleventh chapter formed in the State of Indiana.
Mrs. Frances M. Haberly Robertson
was elected Organizing Regent of the
chapter which had twenty-two charter members. The National Society issued
charter number 561 to the chapter on January 9, 1902. Colonel Robert Robertson,
the husband of the Regent, framed the charter in wood from the palisades of the
fort dedicated in Fort Wayne by
General Anthony Wayne on October 22, 1794.
The chapter name was chosen to honor the wife of General
Anthony Wayne. Mary Penrose was the youngest of five children born to
Bartholomew Penrose, Jr. and his wife Mary Kirl. Mr. Penrose was the son of a
wealthy shipbuilder in Philadelphia, who came to America from Bristol, England
in 1700. Mary or "Polly," as she was known, was born ca. 1749. She met Anthony
Wayne at a Military Ball in Philadelphia. After a brief courtship, Anthony Wayne and Mary Penrose were married
in 1766 at Christ Church, Philadelphia. A
daughter Margaretta was born in 1770 and a son Isaac was born in 1772, both at
their farm in Chester County,
Pennsylvania. Mary remained at "Waynesborough"
throughout the War and was endangered many times by the approach of British
soldiers. She managed the farm and tannery owned by Anthony.
According to the Isaac Wayne family bible*, Mary died at the
family residence on April 18, 1793, at the age of 44.
Her burial was in the
cemetery of St. David's Episcopal Church, Radnor Township, Delaware County,
Pennsylvania. She is buried on the same lot as her sister Margaret
Penrose, who died April 3, 1801 at the age of 60 years. Anthony Wayne died
December 15, 1796 at Presque Isle on Lake Erie. In 1809 his remains were
moved and buried in the Wayne family plot at St. David's at Radnor. A
large monument marks his resting place.
*This bible is in the
collection of the Allen County Public Library, Fort Wayne, IN.
Home of General Anthony and
Mary Penrose Wayne