The DAR insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

 
The Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter has dedicated several DAR Markers to
commemorate historical events in Fort Wayne.

Wayne Trace

Wayne Trace Marker

Large stone dredged from St. Mary's River with bronze plaque marking the old Indian trail used by the armies of Generals Harmar (1790), Wayne (1791) and Harrison (1812). Placed originally on October 22, 1907 in Seiling Park, Wayne Trace and New Haven Avenues. Broken in 1990 and repaired by Park Board. Broken again in 1993 and was repaired by the Park Board and moved away from the intersection. The marker reads:

 Wayne Trace
Once the Indian trail to Cincinnati
The route of General Harmar's army in 1790
of General Wayne's when leaving the stockade
Christened by Major Hamtramck "Fort Wayne in 1794
Also of General Harrison's army in 1812
Erected by Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution

        Harmar's Defeat

Harmer's Defeat Marker

1000 Edgewater Avenue at Dearborn Street. Erected on October 22, 1916, the marker reads:

To the memory of

Major John Wyllys and his brave soldiers who

were killed near this spot

in the battle of
Harmar's Ford
October 22, 1790
with the Miami Indians under
Chief Little Turtle.
Erected by the Mary Penrose Wayne
Chapter D.A.R. in the Centennial
Year 1916
Last French Fort

Last French Fort Marker

Marker placed on June 14,1922 at the intersection of St. Joseph Boulevard and Delaware Avenue. The text of the marker reads:

SITE OF LAST FRENCH FORT
Erected 1750 by Captain Raimond
Surrendered to the British
Under Lieutenant Butler, in 1760.
Ensign Richard Holmes and British
garrison massacred by Miami Indians in 1763.
The most severe engagement of
battle between Gen. Josiah Harmar
and Miamis under Little Turtle
fought here, Oct. 22, 1790.
Tablet erected by the
Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
June 14, 1922

Revolutionary War Soldiers

Revolutionary War Soldiers Marker

A bronze plaque on boulder and flag pole in yard at Swinney Homestead, West Jefferson Boulevard commemorating the Revolutionary War soldiers buried in Allen County. Erected September 22, 1928. This marker was moved to the Veterans' National Memorial Shrine at 2122 O'Day Road on August 20, 2000. The Betsy Ross Flag and Flagpole were dedicated there on November 11, 2000. Research on soldiers done by Sue Vesta Hanna. The plaque reads:

Dedicated to the Memory of the Following
Revolutionary Soldiers
Buried in Allen County
Michael Cronts, James Ball, Charles Weeks Sr.,
William Berry, Samuel Bird Sgt., James Saunders
Gurdin Burnham Sgt., David Blair, David Bryant
Dedicated September 22, 1928

 

 

 

 

First French Fort

First French Fort Marker

 

 

Southwest corner near Van Buren Street bridge over St. Mary's River. Original plaque placed on September 16, 1932 was replaced with a large white metal sign on the southeast corner on June 12, 1983. The text of the marker reads:

 

 

 

POST MIAMI
The site of the first French fort
Built about 1680
Commandants 1680-1697: Jean Baptiste Vissat, Sieur de Vincennes,
 Francois Margane 1735: Ensign Douville, 1734: Ensign du Buison.
In 1747, savages burned the Fort but it was rebuilt.
M. de Raimond was Commandant in 1748.
In 1750, the buildings of the post were abandoned
and became the center of Coldfoot Village and Indian
Settlement, presided over by Chief Coldfoot.
M. de Raimond erected the last French fort on St. Joseph
River at the intersection of the present St. Joe Blvd.
and Delaware Avenue.
1983
Erected by Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution

General Anthony Wayne's Fort

Anthony Wayne's Fort Marker

 

Large boulder with bronze plaque placed by the Indiana State DAR at the corner of Clay and Berry Streets on April 6, 1934. The marker, which indicates the site of Anthony Wayne's 1794 fort, was placed after a state-wide contest to locate the most significant "unmarked" historical site in the State of Indiana. The marker reads:

 

The site of General Anthony Wayne's Fort dedicated Oct 22, 1794. 

 It was the first United States Fort near "Three Rivers."
This fort commanded the shortest portage between the St. Lawrence and
Mississippi systems, a portage known to the Indians as "Glorious Gate" and
 a strategic crossroads in early trade and exploration.
Presented to the city of Fort Wayne by the Indiana Daughters of the
   American Revolution, April 6, 1934.

Chief Richardville

Chief Richardville Marker

Erected on Cathedral Square in 1942, the marker reads:

RICHARDVILLE
1761-1841
Made chief of the Miamis for his daring rescue of a white
prisoner from burning at the stake.
Erected by the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter of the Daughters
of the American Revolution, 1942.

Old Fort Wayne Well

Old Fort Wayne Well Marker


 

Marker erected on September 12, 1960 at corner of Clay and East Main Streets, with a replica of a well and bucket used by the early citizens of Fort Wayne. The well and the marker indicate the location of the 1804 and 1815 forts.

 

 

OLD FORT WAYNE WELL
The OLD WELL, an important factor in the existence of the fort and its
people, saved the fort from Indian fire brands in 1812. Fort Wayne was first
built nearby in 1794. It was rebuilt on this site in 1804 and 1815.
Courtesy of Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1960

Fort Wayne - Fort Dearborn Trail

Fort Wayne - Fort Dearborn Trail Marker

 

Originally placed on August 1, 1969 on the parkway in front of St. Vincent's Villa, this large metal marker marks the trail to Fort Dearborn along which William Wells was slain. The trail was later used for mail delivery between Fort Wayne and Fort Dearborn. In 1993 the marker was moved to the grounds of the YWCA on Wells Street.

 

Old City Hall Museum

Old City Hall Marker

Bronze plaque placed inside entry of the museum on December 18, 1988 to commemorate the chapter's gift of artifacts from the DAR "Relic Room" begun in 1901. It reads:

                  Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter
            Daughters of the American Revolution
                     presents to the Allen County
                  Fort Wayne Historical Society
                its Entire Collection of Artifacts
                     which was begun in 1901.
                 Dedicated December 18, 1988.

 

Alexander Ewing Gravesite

Alexander Ewing Gravesite Marker

This gravesite in Lindenwood Cemetery is the only one in Fort Wayne marked by the chapter with a special plaque honoring a Revolutionary War soldier. This monument is the tallest and most costly monument in Lindenwood Cemetery, and it marks the graves of 20 members of the Ewing family. Resting on a Quincy granite base 8 feet square, it is 38 feet high and its construction cost $25,000. The obelisk is of Scotch granite, highly polished and at the time of its erection in 1870 it was said to be the largest and finest single shaft of Scotch granite in America.

Research on the Revolutionary War service of Alexander Ewing was done by a special committee of the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter - Sue Vesta Hanna, Chairman.  Mrs. Hanna read a research paper on Colonel Ewing at a meeting on the 25th anniversary of the chapter on June 13, 1926.  The marker was placed on his gravesite in Lindenwood Cemetery on June 24, 1926.

Alexander Ewing Marker

NSDAR    INDAR