Excerpted from Ghost Towns of Noble County - by T.C. Holcomb
The village of Cosperville was originally known as Springfield. It was platted in 1844, located on the Elkhart River in Section 22 of Elkhart Township. At one time a grist mill and saw mill were in operation until they were destroyed by fire. Cosperville had a Post Office until 1903 when it was closed and mail service was provided by the rural carrier from Wawaka. At the present time Cosperville is the site of Mault’s Mercantile, the Baptist Church and the Elkhart Township cemetery.