The village of Northport was laid out in December 1838, by Francis Comparet. It was located in Section 9, Orange Township. It1ies between Rome City and Wolcottville to the east of Highway 9. The cemetery is all that is left to mark the site. It was surveyed into blocks of twelve lots each, with a total of 103 lots. It was expected by Mr. Comparet, that his village would become a populous place. He asked reasonable prices for his lots, and tried to induce mechanics and artisans to locate there, but he soon found out it was easier to build towns on paper than in reality.
Comparet opened a small store and began selling whiskey and a small amount of groceries to the Whites and Indians. He continued to sell goods until the canal enterprise collapsed.
Jacob Heater opened a hotel which became noted as a resort for an assemblage to crack jokes, drink whiskey, sing songs and tell tales that would test the credulity of those present. He kept an excellent tavern for that day, and made considerable money, as the road through Northport was the Post Road between Fort Wayne and Lima.
David Law opened a store and became the first Postmaster January 14, 1846. The name was changed to Rome City Post Office in 1867. The first School house of Orange Township was erected at Northport in 1839. It was a combined Church and School, and everyone turned out and helped build it. This house stood and was used until 1843-4, when a log one was built at Rome City.
Ben Roberts had a two-story Cabinet shop and Ben Hill's Blacksmith shop stood on the south side of the east and west street, opposite the Law Hotel in an early day. In 1851, William Hosler settled in Northport and engaged in building a dance hall as an addition to David Law's Hotel. Northport gradually dwindled, but until the death of David Law, the old Law Hotel was maintained with a small stock of groceries.