Perhaps the success of the town of Ligonier prompted Isaac Cavin to lay out the Village of Washington, which he did in June 1837. The description read:
"This tract of land is situated on part of the Southwest quarter of Section number 2, in Township 35 North of Range 8 East. Each lot was 5 rods in width by 8 rods in length. The Village to be located on the road leading from White Pigeon, Michigan and intersecting the State road leading from Goshen to Fort Wayne."
Mr. Cavin related that for richness of soil, this place was surpassed by none in this part of Indiana. Westly White, Surveyor of Noble County, attested to the fact that this was a true plat of the above named town as surveyed by him June 2, 1837. Washington never got beyond the paper stage, although sixty lots were laid out for purchasers.
A small Society of Episcopal Methodist was organized in Perry Township as early as 1834, the members meeting in each other’s cabins. From 1836 to l840 the services were held in the combined Church and School building which had been erected by Seymour Moses, Isaac Cavin and others, Mr. Moses being one of the first Sunday School Superintendents. In 1845, a rupture occurred in the Methodist Society, and the Episcopals went into Eden Township, LaGrange County where they built a Church, while the Methodist Protestants remained in the old School house until 1849, when they built the Salem Church. The latter building served the Society until 1879 when a fine structure costing $3,200 was erected.