Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Porter County Views: Beverly Shores

Porter County Views: Beverly Shores

Please contact the webmaster if you can provide any further identification of individuals or specific locations depicted in the following images.


TITLE: A Glimpse of the Dunes, Beverly Shores, Ind.
DATE: circa 1935 
PUBLISHER: Defender (#7)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Bathing Beach, Beverly Shores, Ind.
DATE: circa 1935
PUBLISHER: Defender
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Beverly Shores Hotel, Beverly Shores, Ind.
DATE: 1944 
PUBLISHER: Curt Teich
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This image represents east elevation of the Beverly Shores Hotel, which was located on the northwest corner of Broadway and Jones Avenue. The hotel consisted of 32 room, was designed by architect Elmer William Marx, and built by Beverly Shores Construction Company. The hotel opened in June 1934 and was converted into the Beverly Shores Rest Home in March 1952. Acquired by the National Park Service, the structure was destroyed by fire in October 1974.
 

TITLE: Beverly Shores Rest Home, Beverly Shores, Ind.
DATE: 1944 (stock image of hotel)
PUBLISHER: Curt Teich (#4B-H649)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This image represents east elevation of the Beverly Shores Hotel, which was located on the northwest corner of Broadway and Jones Avenue. The hotel consisted of 32 room, was designed by architect Elmer William Marx, and built by Beverly Shores Construction Company. The hotel opened in June 1934 and was converted into the Beverly Shores Rest Home in March 1952. Acquired by the National Park Service, the structure was destroyed by fire in October 1974.

 

TITLE: Beverly Shores Hotel, Beverly Shores, Ind.
DATE: circa 1945
PUBLISHER: Curt Teich
POSTMARK: postmarked, but no date or location
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This image represents west elevation of the Beverly Shores Hotel, which was located on the northwest corner of Broadway and Jones Avenue. The hotel consisted of 32 room, was designed by architect Elmer William Marx, and built by Beverly Shores Construction Company. The hotel opened in June 1934 and was converted into the Beverly Shores Rest Home in March 1952. Acquired by the National Park Service, the structure was destroyed by fire in October 1974. The west elevation included a botanical garden of native plants that was designed by Louise Van Hees Young. The image above shows the Pool of Peace in the foreground, the Turtle Bridge in the midground, and the hotel in the background.

 

TITLE: Club House at Beverly Shores, Michigan City, Ind.
DATE: circa 1940
PUBLISHER: E. C. Kropp Company
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook

 

TITLE: Cranberry marsh pickers
DATE: circa 1885
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: M. Fleming

 

TITLE: The House of Tomorrow
DATE: 1933
PUBLISHER: Reuben H. Donnelley Company 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook

 

TITLE: The Florida Tropical Homes, Arts and Crafts Division, World's Fair, 1934
DATE:  1934
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: Carl O. Reed, BSHS
REMARK:
This home was built to meet the requirements of people with larger means than average. It was designed for climates approximating that of Florida. The home consisted of a two story living room overlooked by a balcony, the dining room being separate from the living room. Two bedrooms and a large bathroom were located on the ground floor. A tile paved loggia was laid on the water side of the living room, connecting with the dining room. The roof of the house included a sun deck, living deck and recreation deck, except for the space taken by the upper half of the high room. Robert Law Weed of Miami, Florida, was the architect, Paist & Steward were associate architects, and the supervising architect was Mackey W. White. The builder was Deigaard & Preston. The cost of the home, exclusive of equipment, was approximately $15,000. The striking and original interiors (1933) were designed by James S. Kuhne and Percival H. Goodman, Chicago and New York.

 

TITLE: Paul Revere's House 1650-1680. The Colonial Village, A Century of Progress
DATE: 1933
PUBLISHER: Dorien Bacabe, Western Photogravure Company
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This structure was moved to Beverly Shores in the spring of 1935 by Robert Bartlett upon the conclusion of the 1934 Century of Progress World's Fair  in Chicago. Part of the fair's Colonial Village exhibit, the Paul Revere House was purchased by Bartlett for $500 and moved by truck at a cost of $1,900.
 

TITLE: Lenard's Casino, Beverly Shores, Indiana
DATE: circa 1940 
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: unknown
COLLECTION: M. Fleming
REMARK: Lenard's Casino was located on Lake Front Drive, west of Broadway. Constructed in 1935 by the Beverly Shores Construction Company, the first level at the beach contained lockers and showers, the second level contained inside dining rooms and an outside refreshment stand, while the third level consisted of living quarters. The structure was sandstone and sea-green terra cotta with jet black trim and was leased by W. J. McCain of Chicago. In 1938, the structure was purchased by Ignatz Lenard (1881-1944), a noted restaurateur who owned the Little Poland Restaurant on 1166 Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago. Mr. Lenard later added a hotel wing consisting of 37 single rooms and two apartments.

 

TITLE: Leonard's "Casa de las Flores" -- Beverly Shores, Indiana
DATE: 1962 
PUBLISHER: National Press
POSTMARK: ---?---. 26, 1962, Michigan City, Indiana
COLLECTION: S. Shook

TITLE: Vacation Paradise - Jarusz Place, Central Ave., Beverly Shores, Ind.
DATE:  circa 1935
PUBLISHER: unknown 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook

 

TITLE: The beautiful Red Lantern Inn is a resort hotel on the shores of Lake Michigan at Beverly Shores, Ind. It features intimate dining rooms. Large banquet facilities (for up to 500). Private business meeting and dining rooms. Hotel rooms opening onto beautiful Lake Michigan. Superb beaches. Phone (219) 874-6201 for banquet, dining, or hotel reservations.
DATE: 1968
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: In 1968, The Red Lantern Supper Club, located on west 63rd Street in Chicago, purchased the Lenard's Casino property. At a later date, the property was acquired by the National Park Service and a Reservation of Use was issued to the Larsen family of Minnesota. In 1988, the structure was closed and razed. The site is currently occupied by the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore's Lake View scenic overlook. The image above represents a 1968 architect's rendering of the new Red Lantern Inn. Prepared by architect Ray Stuermer, the design includes four dining areas and banquet facilities, two lounge bars, specialty shops, remodeled and refurnished guest rooms reduced to 25, and apartment, and a penthouse.
 

TITLE: Theater of the Dunes, Beverly Shores, Ind.
DATE: circa 1940
PUBLISHER: Defender 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Armco-Ferro Porcelain Enamel Frameless Steel House, A Century of Progress 1934, "The Mayflower House"
DATE: 1934 
PUBLISHER: Insulated Steel Construction Company 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Mt. Vernon Home, From A Century of Progress, Beverly Shores, Ind.
DATE: 1941
PUBLISHER: Defender (#15)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Mount Vernon Home, Beverly Shores, Indiana
DATE: unknown
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: M. Fleming
 

TITLE: Square Deal BBQ, gas station
DATE: 1929
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: M. Fleming
 

TITLE: Wieboldt-Rostone House, Century of Progress, Beverly Shores, Indiana
DATE: circa 1935
PUBLISHER: Library of Congress
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: Historic American Buildings Survey
 

TITLE: Old North Church, Beverly Shores, Indiana
DATE: circa 1990s
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: M. Fleming
 

TITLE: Old North Church, Beverly Shores, Indiana
DATE: circa 1990s
PUBLISHER: Library of Congress
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: Historic American Buildings Survey
 

TITLE: Old North Church, Beverly Shore, Indiana
DATE: circa 1990s
PUBLISHER: Library of Congress
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: Historic American Buildings Survey
 

TITLE: Old North Church, Beverly Shores, Indiana
DATE: circa 1990s
PUBLISHER: Library of Congress
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: Historic American Buildings Survey
 

TITLE: Modernistic homes from "A Century of Progress," Beverly Shores, Ind. House of Tomorrow (left) Armco-Ferro Steel House (right).
DATE: circa 1935-1940
PUBLISHER: Library of Congress
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: Historic American Buildings Survey
 

TITLE: Betsy Ross House. Colonial Village. A Century of Progress
DATE: 1933
PUBLISHER: Western Photogravure Company
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This structure was one of the few Colonial Village structure that was not moved to Beverly Shores by Robert Bartlett upon the conclusion of the 1933-1934 Century of Progress World's Fair  in Chicago.
 

TITLE: Colonial Village, Chicago World's Fair. Reproduction of Original Painting by Wm. Mark Young. Colonial Village - Early America re-created where one may see faithful replicas of the beloved places that mark the glorious beginnings of the republic.
DATE:  1934
PUBLISHER: Regensteiner Corporation (#CP-8)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: Carl O. Reed, BSHS
 

TITLE: American Colonial Village - Old New England and Virginia. The American Colonial Village occupies 2 1/2 acres on the site of the Battle of Gettysburg. With Old North Church dominating one vista and Mount Vernon the other. It presents all the quaint charm and historical romance of America 200 years ago. Flanked by "Meeting Street," are the house of Paul Revere in Boston, the governor's palace at Williamsburg, Va., the old Boston State House, and Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables, at Salem. The village smithy of Longfellow's poem, a Pilgrim settlement with split-log houses, Benjamin Franklin's printing shop, Betsey Ross' shop and George Washington's birthplace are reproduced. There are a pirates' gaol, a witch's house, a haunted house, stocks and a ducking stool. World's Fair, Chicago.
DATE: 1934
PUBLISHER: unknown (#WF-30)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: Carl O. Reed, BSHS
 

TITLE: Colonial Village, Chicago World's Fair. Colonial Village. Here are shown buildings and places important Historically, such as Mount Vernon, the Old North Church famous for Paul Revere's Ride, and many more building of like importance.
DATE:  1934
PUBLISHER: Kaufmann-Fabry Photo, N. Shure Company, Curt Teich (#36A45, #4A-H1016)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Colonial Village, Chicago World's Fair. Colonial Village. A native American scenic street replete with historical incidents dear to the heart of every American. Among the features here are replicas of Mount Vernon and the Old North Church, associated in history and legend with the famous ride of Paul Revere.
DATE:  1934
PUBLISHER: Kaufmann-Fabry (#104)
POSTMARK: October 12, 1934, Chicago, Illinois
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: In the Colonial Village. A Century of Progress. Paul Revere's House, Old North Tower, Meeting Street "Wakefield," Governor's Mansion.
DATE:  1934
PUBLISHER: Eastman Kodak
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Colonial Village. A Century of Progress. Chicago's 1934 International Exposition. Colonial Village, replica of early American life, Mt. Vernon, Ben Franklin's Print Shop, Betsy Ross House, where the first American flag flew and many other interesting scenes of our forefathers.
DATE:  1934
PUBLISHER: Max Rigot, American Colortype (#X-146)
POSTMARK: August 9, 1934, Evanston, Illinois
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Porter County Views: Beverly Shores

Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society 2009 | All Rights Reserved