Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Porter County Views: Chesterton - Businesses

Porter County Views: Chesterton - Businesses

Please contact the webmaster if you can provide any further identification of individuals or specific locations depicted in the following images.


TITLE: The Old Mill, Chesterton, Indiana [Blackwell Mill; Chesterton Roller Mills]
DATE: circa 1907-1909
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: unknown
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This mill was located at the northeast corner of present day Porter Avenue and Calumet Road. Coffee Creek runs just behind [east] the building.
 

TITLE: Chesterton Roller Mills, Chesterton, Indiana. H. L. Cooper, proprietor. Manufacturer of winter wheat flour, whole wheat flour, Graham flour, rye and buckwheat flour, corn meal and feed. [Blackwell Mill]
DATE: 1905
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This mill was located at the northeast corner of present day Porter Avenue and Calumet Road. Coffee Creek runs just behind [east] the building.
 

TITLE: American China Products Co., Chesterton, Ind.
DATE: circa 1925
PUBLISHER: P. L. Huckins
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The American China Products Company began operations in Chesterton in 1922 and was backed by the Aluminum Company of America. The company produced restaurant ware for hotels. The manufacturing facility was located on the north side of Broadway between Ninth and Twelfth Streets. The Fraunfelter China Company, located in Ohio, purchased American China Products Company in 1923. In December of 1925, Fraunfelter China Company closed their Chesterton manufacturing facility. In May of 1931, Fraunfelter China Company sold the American China Products Company operations; however, the plant had not been in operation since December of 1925.
 

TITLE: Glass Factory, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: circa 1910
PUBLISHER: M. L. Photo Company (#4)
POSTMARK: unknown
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Chicago Flint & Lime Glass Company, locally referred to as the Glass Works, was located immediately west of the American China Products Company on Broadway and Eleventh Street. The business was organized in 1901 by Chicagoans James K. Hastings, Charles T. Murphy, and Louis D. McCall, and Charles J. Bockius of Marion, Ohio. Bockius served as the company president. Capitalization of the company was a significant sum of $100,000. The manufacturing facility began operations in 1902 with 120 employees and was approximately 4,000 square feet in area and included one ten-pot furnace, three two-pot furnaces, mold shop, sandblasting area, and grinding area. Separate buildings included a manager's house (which may be the home shown in the photograph above), a cooper shop, and a warehouse. The company produced both pressed and blown glass products such as liquor sets, vases, tumblers, sugars, creamers, butter dishes, and tableware. Flint glass production included clear, white, canary, and blue glass products. Under the management of J. E. Hill and J. F. Miller, the glass works began a decline; by 1905, only 51 were employed at the facility. In 1905, the plant indefinitely shut down, although there was one-and-off production taking place at the facility through April 1911, when the plant suffered a major explosion and manager David Neuhauser fired all employees and closed the facility permanently.
 

TITLE: Arthur E. Nickel Drugs and Dentist, The Club Cigar Store, Chesterton, Ind.
DATE: circa 1910
PUBLISHER: Auburn Post Card Manufacturing Company
POSTMARK: July 21, 1913, Chesterton, Indiana
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: The Club Cigar Store, Chesterton, Ind.
DATE: circa 1910
PUBLISHER: A. J. Schumann
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Club Cigar Store was located on the south side of present-day Broadway Avenue. Arthur E. Nickel's Drug Store and Dentist Office, which was previously the old Central House Hotel, was located immediately to the east of The Club Cigar Store. Note that the men at the counter are playing a dice game.
 

TITLE: Newman's Little Acre. U. S. Hwy 20, 10 Mi. East of Gary, Ind. We specialize in Southern French Fried Jumbo Shrimp, Scallops, Fish and Chips. Newman's Little Acre on U. S. Hwy 20, 10 miles East of Gary, Ind. Open Every Day.
DATE: circa 1950
PUBLISHER: Castle Studio, Dexter Press (#41910)
POSTMARK: October 4, 1950, Chesterton, Indiana
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Flynn, Lundberg, Johnson Funeral Home, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1952
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Carlsbad Mineral Springs, Chesterton, Ind.
DATE: 1907 or 1908
PUBLISHER: Arthur E. Nickel
POSTMARK: August 15, 1908, Chesterton, Indiana
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Morgan's Hardware, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1909
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located at the 100 block of South Calumet Road.
 

TITLE: Ameling's Lumber Yard and Planing Mill, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: circa 1910
PUBLISHER: M. L. Photo Company (#22)
POSTMARK: unknown
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This structure, located on present day Park Avenue, later became the first building used by Wilbar Manufacturing Company.
 

TITLE: Aron Theatre, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located on the south side of present day Broadway Avenue in downtown. It later became part of the Ben Franklin store.

 

TITLE: Aron Theatre, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located on the south side of present day Broadway Avenue in downtown. It later became part of the Ben Franklin store.
 

TITLE: Interior of Chesterton Furniture, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: DeKoker's Corner, Chesterton, Indiana. Deluxe hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches.
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located across from the Chesterton High School.
 

TITLE: Interior of Flannery's Tavern, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business is located on Calumet Road near the intersection with Broadway Avenue.
 

TITLE: Elmer Blanchard Garage, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: circa 1915-1925
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: T. Cole
REMARK: This business was located on present day South Calumet Road.
 

TITLE: The Raymond M. Price & Associates factory, Chesterton, Indiana. Established in 1947.
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business manufactured plastic signs for national firms.
 

TITLE: Abatex Manufacturing Company, Chesterton, Indiana. Owned and operated by Earl Johnson and Clifford Krone.
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This building was constructed in 1948 and manufactured dresses.
 

TITLE: E. P. Hubbard Chevrolet Sales, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located on present day North Calumet Road.
 

TITLE: Frank's Marathon Service, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located at the northwest corner of present day Calumet Road and Indiana Avenue.
 

TITLE: Carl H. Harvil's Studebaker Sales and Service, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business began in Chesterton in 1910. The building above is located on the south side of Broadway Avenue directly across the street from the old Post Office.
 

TITLE: L and S Courtesy Corner, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located at present day 15th Street and Broadway.
 

TITLE: Morgan's Store, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: circa 1930s
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This structure is believed to have been located at the southwest corner of the present day intersection of Porter Avenue and 15th Street.
 

TITLE: Leslie Pratt Dry Cleaning and Men's Wear, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located on the south side of Broadway Avenue next to the Aron Theatre (later the Ben Franklin store).
 

TITLE: The old chinaware factory located on West Broadway, Chesterton, Indiana.
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: John Saidla t one time operated a screw machine plant on the first floor and a skating rink on the second. Pressco Castings and Manufacturing Company operated in the front wing of the building producing metal castings. Par-A-Mount Tool and Manufacturing Company, tool and die makers, shared the front wing with Pressco. In the back wing, E. J. Basler Company produced screw machine products.
 

TITLE: Morgan's Hardware, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located at the 100 block of South Calumet Road.
 

TITLE: Smedman's IGA Super Market, Chesterton, Indiana
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located on Calumet Road.
 

TITLE: Standard Oil Company
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business may have been located in Porter, Indiana.
 

TITLE: Wilbar Manufacturing Company's office and machine shop, Chesterton, Indiana.
DATE: 1948
PUBLISHER: Retail Merchants Association, Chesterton, Indiana
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This business was located on Park Avenue. The Anderson brothers -- Herbert, Elmer, Ralph, Philip, and William -- came to Chesterton from Ogden Dunes, Indiana, in 1930 and started the old Ameling mill at this location. The company manufactured various metal articles.
 

TITLE: Compliments of C. O. Hillstrom & Co. Organ Manufacturers, Chesterton, Ind. Every Organ Warranted for 5 Years. Our Organs are For Sale by (see other side.)
DATE: circa 1900
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Porter County Views: Chesterton - Businesses

Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society 2008 | All Rights Reserved