Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Porter County Views: Liberty Township

Porter County Views: Liberty Township

Please contact the webmaster if you can provide any further identification of individuals or specific locations depicted in the following images.


TITLE: Charles Swanson Farm, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: circa 1910 
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Swanson home was razed in the 1990s. It was located on the south side of County Road 1050 North and approximately 500 feet east of County Road 125 West (SE quarter of Section 10).
 

TITLE: Home, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana [location unknown]
DATE: circa 1910 
PUBLISHER: AZO 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The exact location of this home is unknown, but it believed to be located in the Babcock or Crocker areas of Liberty Township. The man in the photograph is identified as Mr. [Charles] Swanson.
 

TITLE: Charles Swanson Farm, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: circa 1909-1911 
PUBLISHER: unknown 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This Swanson home was razed in the 1990s. It was located on the south side of County Road 1050 North and approximately 500 feet east of County Road 125 West (SE quarter of Section 10). The women in this photograph are believed to be the daughters of Charles Swanson: Hattie, Matilda, and Clara.
 

TITLE: Charles Swanson Farm Livestock, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: 1907
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: October 1, 1907, Porter, Indiana
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Swanson home was razed in the 1990s. It was located on the south side of County Road 1050 North and approximately 500 feet east of County Road 125 West (SE quarter of Section 10).
 

TITLE: Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner -- 15 miles east of Gary, Indiana, on U. S. Hi-way 6. 1 1/4 miles west of Hi-way 49. 50 miles east of the Chicago Loop. Air conditioned throughout. A good place to bring the family. A home-like atmosphere. Where women do all the cooking. Mrs. J. L. Johnson and Mr. and Mrs. H. Brojcki. Phone 1672-M1, Valparaiso, Ind.
DATE: circa 1950s
PUBLISHER: Ektachrome by Jack Taylor, Dexter Press (#42003) 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner was located on the southwest corner of present day intersection of Meridian Road and US Highway 6.
 

TITLE: Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner restaurant and motel. 51 miles east on U. S. 6 from Chicago Loop. 1 1/2 miles west of Ind. 49. Open year around. Reservations for special parties.
DATE: circa 1950s 
PUBLISHER: Harvey's Residence Studio (#77989) 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner was located on the southwest corner of present day intersection of Meridian Road and US Highway 6.
 

TITLE: Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner & Tourist Court. On U. S. 6 (1 1/2 mi. west of Rt. 49) Valpraiso, Indiana.
DATE:1956 
PUBLISHER: The Randle Company
POSTMARK: June 22, 1956, Oak Harbor, Ohio
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner was located on the southwest corner of present day intersection of Meridian Road and US Highway 6.
 

TITLE: Blue Bird Inn, at Junc. Hiways 6 & 49 -- L. Caprus, Prop. -- Phone Chesterton 425 -- Valparaiso, Ind.
DATE: circa 1950s 
PUBLISHER: Gloss Tone, Fort Wayne Printing Company (G-341)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Bluebird Inn, Valparaiso, Ind. Cabins. Modern. Hot and Cold Showers. Chicken Dinners. Junction U. S. 6 and 49. L. Caprus, Prop.
DATE: 1939 
PUBLISHER: Gloss Tone, Fort Wayne Printing Company (B-919)
POSTMARK: June 22, 1939, Butler, Indiana
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Blue Bird Tourist Court. Located on U. S. 6 and Ind. 49, 6 miles north of Valparaiso, Ind. or 6 miles south of U. S. 20
DATE: circa 1950 
PUBLISHER: unknown 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Blue Bird Tourist Court was located on the southeast corner of present day intersection of US Highway 6 and Old Indiana Highway 49.
 

TITLE: Blue Bird Motel & Restaurant. 1 mi. south of Valparaiso exit to Ind. E.W. Toll Rd. at Jct. of U. S. Hways 6 and Ind. 49. 25 clean comfortable units -- air conditioned -- TV -- restaurant featuring sizzling steaks and chicken -- homemade pies.
DATE: circa 1960 
PUBLISHER: K. Don Williams
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Blue Bird Motel and Restaurant was located on the southeast corner of present day intersection of US Highway 6 and Old Indiana Highway 49.
 

TITLE: Blue Bird Motel and Restaurant. Junction of U. S. Highway 6 & Indiana Rt. 49 Gateway to Indiana Toll Road -- Six miles from Indiana Dunes State Park. 25 clean, comfortable units -- air-conditioned -- television. Sizzling steaks and chicken -- hot rolls -- home made pies. We cater to parties and banquets. Vale & Jean Caprous.
DATE: 1964 
PUBLISHER: Harvey's Studio
POSTMARK: September 16, 1964, Hammond, Indiana
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Blue Bird Motel and Restaurant was located on the southeast corner of present day intersection of US Highway 6 and Old Indiana Highway 49.
 

TITLE: Blue Bird Motel & Restaurant, Valparaiso, Indiana. 1 mi. so. of entrance to Indiana Toll Road, at Jct. of U. S. Hwys. 6 & 49. 17 modern units. Air conditioning, T.V.
DATE: circa 1950s 
PUBLISHER: Motel Contract Supply Corporation (#21,742F) 
POSTMARK:
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Blue Bird Motel and Restaurant was located on the southeast corner of present day intersection of US Highway 6 and Old Indiana Highway 49.
 

TITLE: Chicago-New York Electric Airline Railroad, Coffee Creek cut and trestle.
DATE: circa 1910
PUBLISHER: unknown 
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: M. Fleming
REMARK: The Indiana Toll Road parallels this cut in eastern Liberty Township and western Jackson Township.
 

TITLE: Chicago-New York Electric Airline Railroad, Coffee Creek trestle.
DATE: circa 1910
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: M. Fleming
REMARK: The Indiana Toll Road parallels this cut in eastern Liberty Township and western Jackson Township.
 

TITLE: Trestle approaching Coffey Creek [sic] south of Chesterton, Ind. Built of timbers cut from the Company's own woods. This point is about 15 miles from Gary.
DATE: circa 1910
PUBLISHER: unknown 
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Indiana Toll Road parallels this cut in eastern Liberty Township and western Jackson Township.
 

TITLE: Building the Air Line -- Construction train filling the big trestle south of Chesterton, Indiana.
DATE: circa 1910
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Chicago-New York Electric Airline Railroad. Goodrum power station.
DATE:  circa 1910
PUBLISHER: unknown 
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: M. Fleming
REMARK: This power generation station was located east of the intersection of present day 950 North and Indiana Highway 49.

 

TITLE: Butternut Springs, Rt. #4, Valparaiso, Indiana, Girl Scouts of Chicago. This is 1 of the many scenic "Natural" trails formed by Mother Nature. This trail leads to Trail Tree Unit and Swan Lake.
DATE: circa 1965
PUBLISHER: Plastichrome (#P24824) 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Butternut Springs, Rt. #4, Valparaiso, Indiana, Girl Scouts of Chicago, Swan Lake. This lake is named after its occupant, John the Swan! Campers enjoy boating, fishing and turtle hunting on Swan Lake.
DATE: circa 1965
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Campers at "The Trail Tree" Butternut Springs Camp. Near Valparaiso, Indiana
DATE: 1957
PUBLISHER: Artvue Post Card Company 
POSTMARK: July 24, 1957, Chicago, Illinois
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Girl Scouts of Chicago, Camp Butternut Springs, Valparaiso, Indiana, 46383
DATE: circa 1970 
PUBLISHER: Artvue Post Card Company (#160629) 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Butternut Springs, Rt. #4, Valparaiso, Indiana, Girl Scouts of Chicago. Campers enjoy a cool creek hike on a hot day. The creek which runs through the woods is a favorite spot at camp. Hiking and Nature Study ar enjoyed by young and old alike!
DATE: Circa 1965
PUBLISHER: Plastichrome (#P24823)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

 

TITLE: CYO Camp Lawrence, Rural Route 5, Valparaiso, Indiana, Boating on Moss Lake
DATE: circa 1965 
PUBLISHER: Harvey's Studio, Dexter Press (#42694-C) 
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: Camp Lawrence is a Catholic youth camp opened in 1959 and located north of county road 700 North between Meridian Road and Indiana Highway 49. Prior to being a camp, the property was used as a dairy farm (Moss Dairy) owned and operated by the Bull family.
 

TITLE: Grace Time in Dining Room, Camp Lawrence, R. R. 5, Valparaiso, Ind.
DATE: circa 1966 
PUBLISHER: Vogue Photographers, Dexter Press (#46205-B)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: Camp Lawrence is a Catholic youth camp opened in 1959 and located north of county road 700 North between Meridian Road and Indiana Highway 49. Prior to being a camp, the property was used as a dairy farm (Moss Dairy) owned and operated by the Bull family.

TITLE: Babcock School, Looking Southwesterly, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: circa 1910 
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Babcock School was located near the northwest corner of the present day intersection of 1050 North and 200 West (SE quarter of the SE quarter of Section 9).
 

TITLE: Babcock School, Looking Northwesterly, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: circa 1910 
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Babcock School was located near the northwest corner of the present day intersection of 1050 North and 200 West (SE quarter of the SE quarter of Section 9).
 

TITLE: Coles School, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: circa 1920 
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: T. Cole
REMARK: The Coles School was located near the northeast corner of the present day intersection of US Highway 6 and Old Indiana Highway 49.

 

 

TITLE: Liberty Center High School, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: 1928 
PUBLISHER: Liberty Center High School Annual (1928)
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: T. Cole
 
 
TITLE: The Commercial Room, Liberty Center High School, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: 1931
PUBLISHER: Liberty Center High School Annual (1931)
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Girls' Physical Education Class, Liberty Center High School, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: 1931
PUBLISHER: Liberty Center High School Annual (1931)
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 
 
TITLE: The Home Economics Class at Work, Liberty Center High School, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: 1931
PUBLISHER: Liberty Center High School Annual (1931)
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: The Industrial Arts Room, Liberty Center High School, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana
DATE: 1931
PUBLISHER: Liberty Center High School Annual (1931)
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 
 
TITLE: Linderman School, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana. Nellie Bruns, teacher.
DATE: 1914
PUBLISHER: The Chesterton Tribune (November 13, 1987)
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: T. Cole
REMARK: The Linderman School was located near the present day location of the Duneland School Corporation bus barns north of 1050 North and west of Indiana Highway 49.
 

TITLE: Linderman School, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana.
DATE: circa 1920s
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: T. Cole
REMARK: The Linderman School was located near the present day location of the Duneland School Corporation bus barns south of 1050 North and west of Indiana Highway 49.
 
 
TITLE: Phares School, Liberty Township, Porter County, Indiana.
DATE: circa 1920s
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: T. Cole
REMARK: The Phares School was located on the northwest corner of present day intersection of 700 North and Meridian Road.
 

TITLE: Threshing Crew. Man standing at left (in suit) is believed to be Charles Specht. Man sitting on ground with bottle on top of head is identified on photograph as "Tightwad John Claussen." Others in photograph are unidentified.
DATE: circa 1910 
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: It is believed that this photograph was taken in Liberty Township; however, it may have been taken in the northern one-half of Center Township.
 

TITLE: Threshing Crew. Individuals in photograph are unidentified.
DATE: circa 1910 
PUBLISHER: unknown
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: It is believed that this photograph was taken in Liberty Township; however, it may have been taken in the northern one-half of Center Township.
 

TITLE: Gary Railways Interurban Line, Valparaiso Division, at Esserman
DATE: 1838 
PUBLISHER: J. F. Humiston
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK:
This photograph was taken just north of the current Liberty Township Volunteer Fire Department and east of County Road 50 West. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad paralleled the interurban line at this point and its grade can be faintly seen to the left of the interurban line in this image. The Gary and Valparaiso Railway's Valparaiso Line operated from 1917 to October 23, 1938, when it was abandoned. The interurban provided hourly runs between Garyton (East Gary/Lake Station) and Valparaiso for many years. During the Great Depression, however, the schedule was reduced, with runs being operated every two hours. The discontinuance of interurban service was largely affected by the increasing use of automobiles, an improved highway system, and the financial depression. A freight service was also run on this line, transporting goods between Gary, LaPorte, South Bend, and Goshen. Milk cars were especially important in moving this commodity to larger population centers located to the west; milk cars were run on this line between Chesterton, Gary, Hammond, Indiana Harbor, LaPorte, and Valparaiso. Milk traffic on the line increased from 70 cans a day in 1913 to 270 cans by 1916. Milk cars continued operation from Valparaiso to Hammond until 1924.
 

Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Porter County Views: Liberty Township

Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society 2009 | All Rights Reserved