Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Lake County Views: Schererville - Businesses

Lake County Views: Schererville - Businesses

Please contact the webmaster if you can provide any further identification of individuals or specific locations depicted in the following images.


TITLE: John L. Thiel Blacksmith Shop, Schererville, Indiana. Left to right: Andrew Doctor, Nicholas Thiel, John H. Thiel, and John Berens.
DATE: circa 1890s
PUBLISHER: Schererville Centennial Souvenir Book, 1866-1966
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: Thiel's Blacksmith Shop (which also operated as a woodworking shop) was located where the Post Office now stands (in 1966).
 

TITLE: Millinery Shop, Schererville, Indiana. From left: Joseph W. Risch, unidentified boy, Mary Risch Schweitzer, unidentified girl, William Schweitzer, Katherine Steuer Risch (mother).
DATE: circa 1900s
PUBLISHER: Schererville Centennial Souvenir Book, 1866-1966
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Gard's Store and Post Office, Schererville, Indiana. Left to right: Michael Stuer, Town Marshal; Harry Gard, child; George N. Gard, owner; and Mr. Popovich.
DATE: circa 1920
PUBLISHER: Schererville Centennial Souvenir Book, 1866-1966
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: Gard's Store operated from 1908 to 1959 and was owned by George and Elizabeth Gard. Prior to the Gard's ownership, the general store was owned by Elizabeth Gard's sister, Mary Weis. The original structure, which was later enlarged, was constructed in 1881 by John Stumer. The store also operated as Schererville's Post Office, with Mary Weis being Postmistress until October 1913, at which time George Gard became Postmaster. Mr. Gard remained Postmaster until June 1928.
 

TITLE: Interior of Gard's Store, Schererville, Indiana.
DATE: circa 1920
PUBLISHER: Schererville Centennial Souvenir Book, 1866-1966
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Miller's Tavern, Schererville, Indiana. In 1966, this building housed Dave's Tap.
DATE: circa 1910s
PUBLISHER: Schererville Centennial Souvenir Book, 1866-1966
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: Bernard Schulte's Meat Market, Schererville, Indiana.
DATE: circa 1890s
PUBLISHER: Schererville Centennial Souvenir Book, 1866-1966
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This structure was located at the southwest corner of Joliet Street and Central Avenue.
 

TITLE: George C. Mason Stores on Joliet Street, Schererville, Indiana.
DATE: January 1958
PUBLISHER: Schererville Centennial Souvenir Book, 1866-1966
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

TITLE: M. Grimmer & P. F. Reder General Cheap Store, Schererville, Indiana.
DATE: circa 1890s
PUBLISHER: Schererville Centennial Souvenir Book, 1866-1966
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: This general merchandise store was owned by Michael Grimmer and his half-brother, Peter F. Reder. The building and store were later sold John Weis around 1896. Weis sold the building and store in 1908 to George Gard, his brother-in-law. The store then operated until 1959 as the Gard Store.
 

TITLE: Hoosier State Bank, Schererville, Indiana, located at U.S. Routes 41 and 30.
DATE: 1966
PUBLISHER: Schererville Centennial Souvenir Book, 1866-1966
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 

Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Lake County Views: Schererville - Businesses

Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society 2007 | All Rights Reserved