Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Porter County Views: Valparaiso - Wauhob Lake

Porter County Views: Valparaiso - Wauhob Lake

Please contact the webmaster if you can provide any further identification of individuals or specific locations depicted in the following images.


TITLE: Wahob Lake, Valparaiso, Ind.
DATE: circa 1915-1930
PUBLISHER: E. C. Kropp Company (#17873)
POSTMARK: none
COLLECTION: S. Shook
 
 
TITLE: Gary Railways Interurban Line, Valparaiso Division, at Milepost 18.9, Wauhob Lake
DATE: 1938
PUBLISHER: J. F. Humiston
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Gary and Valparaiso Railway's Valparaiso Line operated from 1917 to October 23, 1938, when it was abandoned. The interurban provided hourly runs between Garyton (East Gary/Lake Station) and Valparaiso for many years. During the Great Depression, however, the schedule was reduced, with runs being operated every two hours. The discontinuance of interurban service was largely affected by the increasing use of automobiles, an improved highway system, and the financial depression. A freight service was also run on this line, transporting goods between Gary, LaPorte, South Bend, and Goshen. Milk cars were especially important in moving this commodity to larger population centers located to the west; milk cars were run on this line between Chesterton, Gary, Hammond, Indiana Harbor, LaPorte, and Valparaiso. Milk traffic on the line increased from 70 cans a day in 1913 to 270 cans by 1916. Milk cars continued operation from Valparaiso to Hammond until 1924.
 

TITLE: Gary Railways Interurban Line, Valparaiso Division, at Milepost 18.9, Wauhob Lake Siding
DATE: 1938
PUBLISHER: J. F. Humiston
POSTMARK: not applicable
COLLECTION: S. Shook
REMARK: The Gary and Valparaiso Railway's Valparaiso Line operated from 1917 to October 23, 1938, when it was abandoned. The interurban provided hourly runs between Garyton (East Gary/Lake Station) and Valparaiso for many years. During the Great Depression, however, the schedule was reduced, with runs being operated every two hours. The discontinuance of interurban service was largely affected by the increasing use of automobiles, an improved highway system, and the financial depression. A freight service was also run on this line, transporting goods between Gary, LaPorte, South Bend, and Goshen. Milk cars were especially important in moving this commodity to larger population centers located to the west; milk cars were run on this line between Chesterton, Gary, Hammond, Indiana Harbor, LaPorte, and Valparaiso. Milk traffic on the line increased from 70 cans a day in 1913 to 270 cans by 1916. Milk cars continued operation from Valparaiso to Hammond until 1924.

 
 
 

Home ---> Northwest Indiana Views ---> Porter County Views: Valparaiso - Wauhob Lake

Northwest Indiana Genealogical Society 2009 | All Rights Reserved