Search billions of records on





June 4 1957


Funeral services will be conducted Thursday for Edmond Andrew Stallman, 33 year old, popular Mt. Vernon resident and for 10 years a line clearance man of Southern Indiana Gas & Electric Co., who was electrocuted on the job yesterday afternoon at 3:20 o'clock in Evansville.


Stallman was assigned to a tree-trimming detail in the 600 block of Division street and was coming down in a plastic basket when a high tension wire came in contact with the back of his neck, Vanderburgh County Deputy Coroner Kenneth King said.


The body is at Short-Niehaus Funeral Home in Mt. Vernon and will remain there through the funeral service set for 3:30 p.m. Thursday in Short-Niehaus chapel.  Officiating clergyman will be Rev. Walter C. Rasche, Reformed Church in Marrs township, and Rev. August E. Binder, pastor of Trinity Evangelical and Reformed Church in Mt. Vernon.  Burial will be in Mt. Pleasant cemetery at Bufkin near the Stallman home on R.R. 3, Mt. Vernon.  Owen Dunn post No. 5, American Legion, of which the deceased was a past commander, will conduct a military service at the grave.


Surviving are the wife, nee Betty, Knight; four children, Linda Ann 12, Tommy Lynn, 9, Robert Glenn, 7, and Marybeth 6, the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edmond O. Stallman, R.R. 3, the father an invalid for the last two years; two brothers, Clark E. St. Lois, and Jack H. Arlington, Va. and two sisters, Joyce Stallman, Mt. Vernon and Mrs. Marjorie Hungate, Torrance, Calif.  The surviving wife is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. Glenn Knight.


Stallman, a native of Mt. Vernon, a graduate of Mt. Vernon High school in 1942 and a newsboy in Mt. Vernon during his school days was a veteran of World War II, serving in the Army in Pacific theaters.


He was very active in local Republican politics and was precinct committeeman in the Republican stronghold of Black township Precinct 1.


The tragedy victim was the leader of a three-man squad that handled the trimming from two plastic baskets attached to a lift on one of the company trucks.


Robert Garrison and Harry Dunkelberger, Evansville, members of Stallman's crew, both escaped injury.  Garrison was coming down in the other plastic basket, and Dunkelberger had been working on the ground clearing away limbs and debris as the other two men trimmed the tree.


Evansville Fire Department emergency squad members under the direction of Acting Capt. Claude Duncan, attempted for about 45 minutes to revive Stallman following the accident.


He was declared dead by a company physician shortly after 4 p.m..



Originally submitted by Betty Sellers