Mrs. Mattie Thompson Woodward 77, whose cheerful disposition had
endeared her to the Mt.Vernon community during long invalidism
following a broken hip, died at last night (Jun 1956) at DeaconessHospital in Evansville.
She was the widow of Harry Woodward, who operated the original
Woodward Service Station on West Fourth street for many years and who died in
Mrs. Woodward had been an invalid since her hip-fracturing fall
two years ago last April. She resided at the Kueber
Nursing Home in Evansville for a year prior to her entrance of the hospital two and
one half weeks ago.
The body is at Short-Niehaus Funeral
Home. Rev. August E. Binder, pastor of Trinity Evangelical and Reformed
Church will conduct the funeral service in Short-Niehaus
chapel at Saturday. Burial will be in Bellefontaine cemetery.
The deceased was a member of TrinityChurch and Trinity Auxiliary.
Born in Carmi, Ill a daughter of Green Bailey Thompson and
Amanda Harmony Thompson, Mrs Woodward had spent most
of her life in Mt.Vernon.
She is survived
by three daughters, Mrs. Charles B. Moye and Mrs.
George A. Krug, Mt.Vernon and Mrs. Rudolph A. Klaumeier,
Indianapolis, four sons, Luther and Robert L, Mt.Vernon, Oscar D., Evansville, and Roy, Mt. Carmel, Ill. and 13 grandchildren and eight great