Front row: Lela Wade, George Fox, Lowell Stallings, Elbert Wade, George W. Hunter, Herbert Huck, Harold Williams, Lela Mahler, Elizabeth Ramsey and Aubrey Nash.
Second row: Jesse Moye, Earl Cox, Chester Cartwright, Silvia Sanders, Margaret Garris, Martha Turner, Mayme Stallings, Nora Wade, and Principal Fred McMurtry.
Third Row: Floyd Moye, Urmel Wade, George Ramsey, Arthur Creek, Emery Arburm, Charles Anderson, Emmett Huck, Malcom Moye, and Edwin Causey.
The first school building was located near the present location of the
Herman Hess, the saloon keeper, gave private lessons in German in a building located near where Ben Oni Stallings lived and which his son-in-law, Harold Seibert, now owns. Martin Stegmeier tells that three nights were enough for him. Hess soon decided that his time spent in the saloon was more profitable. Schools at that time were supported by fees paid to the teacher by the parents of those who attended the school. This was the practice until 1851, when the new Indiana State Constitution made provision for free public schools.
In 1869, William D Wade and Hester Wade deeded a rectangular plot six rods wide and seven rods long to