Scott County, Indiana
Genealogy and History
The Scott Co. Historical Society was formed November 25, 1922. It appears there were 13 members at this organizational meeting. E. A. Gladden; Alice Gamble; Clinton Gamble; Permelia Boyd; Frank Gardner; Mrs. B. S. Gardner; W. L. Morrison; Pearl mcClain; Mrs. Agnes Cooperider; Mrs. Carrie Montgomery; Dorothy Morrison; Miss Kate McClain; William Storen.
Officers elected were Permelia Boyd - President; Clinton Gamble - Vice President; William Storen - Secretary and kate McClain - Treasurer. Dues were $1.00 per year.
The program was presented by Dr. J. W. Oliver who spoke on "Values of Collecting, Arranging and Preserving Historical Documents".
Eventually the group was discontinued and was reorganized on April 15, 1970 by Dr. Carl E. Bogardus. Dr. Bogardus was instrumental in saving a lot of our county's history by writing many books. Much of his information and many of his notes are housed at the Scott County Public Library, 108 S. Main Street, Scottsburg, IN. This material is available for the public to view.
The reorganization meeting was held in the meeting room of the Scottsburg Police Station on April 15, 1970. Hubert Hawkins of Indianapolis, Director of the Indiana Historical Bureau and Editor of the Indiana Historical bulletin, assisted at the meeting. Present, and participating in the organization were: Hazel Feaster, Helen Vest Gardner, Kathryn Disney Nicholas, marie Wolff Craig, Wanda Jones Webster, Madge Lizenby, Kenneth R. Scott, Leland P. Langdon, Gladys Dismore Jones, J. Paul Jones, Ronald Shirley, Vern Somsel, Berniece Jones Cool, George W. Prime, Beverly Hutton Shirley, William R. Greear and Carl R. Bogardus, Sr.
Officers elected were: President, Carl R. Bogardus, Sr.; vice President, Leland P. Langdon; Recording Secretary, Beverly H. Shirley; Corresponding Secretary, Gladys d. Jones; Treasurer, Wanda J. Webster.
Dues continued as $1.00 and there were over 200 charter members.