Scott County, Indiana
Genealogy and History
a small part of the INGenWeb and USGenWeb Projects
As early as 1804 settlers began coming into this part of the state. In that year a group of pioneers, led by an elder in the Baptist Church, Reverend Jesse Vawter (1755-1838), from Franklin and Scott Counties, Kentucky, migrated to where Madison is now located and settled on the plateau above the river. They were soon followed by many, many more who quickly spread out over the surrounding country.
Some of the more restless settlers pushed on deeper into the forest to the west and settled in what is now Lexington Township, Scott County, but was then a part of Clark County. The very first of these, John Kimberlin of Virginia, and his two sons, Daniel (1789-1880) , and Isaac, came down the Ohio River in a flatboat from Greene County, Pennsylvania in April, 1805, and settled on a small stream , a branch of Stucker Creek which we now call Kimberlin Creek (Stucker Creek in those days was called Brushy Fork of the Muscatatuck River) . Nearby the house was a large spring of water which still flows today. There they erected a cabin of white oak logs which was still standing and used as a dwelling as late as 1876 at which time it was torn down and the logs were used to build a barn which stood until 1919. What a shame it is that this old landmark could not have been preserved for posterity! This pioneer farm was located in the northwest quarter of Tract No. 264 of Clark's Grant which had originally been granted in 1784 to Captain William Harrod (1737-1801) who had served with Clark and who was a brother of Colonel James Harrod (1742-1792) of Kentucky and Thomas Harrod (1727-1798) ancestor of the Harrods of Scott County. This farm, about one-half mile northwest of Nabb, is owned and occupied by Luther Campbell and is still known as the "John Kimberlin Farm.'' The site of the old fort can still be plainly seen. After the Pigeon Roost Massacre on September 3, 1812, because of local unrest and fear of the recurrence of Indian Raids, this large and strongly built house was converted into a fort or block house where militia troops were quartered for many months. About 100 yards east of the site of this old house is a small abandoned cemetery where lie in an unmarked grave the remains of John Kimberlin, Scott County's first white settler.
Daniel Kimberlin fought under General Harrison at the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811 and later served during the War of 1812. His marriage to Ursula Brinton (1799-1867), daughter of Robert Brinton, a veteran of the Revolution is said to have been the first too take place in what is now the county of Scott.
John Kimberlin, son of Peter Kimberlin, was born in Virginia in 1751. Previous to 1779, he married Ruth Jones and he served in the American Revolution. In 1804, while living in Pennsylvania, he bought this five acre tract from Thomas Hughes, and in 1805 he and his family moved here as the first permanent settlers in Scott County. He built a large two-story log house, which served as a fort after the Pigeon Roost Massacre. This old pioneer died in 1834, and he and his wife are buried here in unmarked graves *.
This cemetery has been cleaned and restored by the Scott County Cemetery Commission.
*See information from stones later erected by the DAR.
KIMBERLIN, John* 1751-1835, 2nd Continental Line Revolutionary War
" Ruth (Jones)* 1758-1836, wife
KIMBERLIN, Elizabeth 5/14/1807-8/31/1844, Consort of Jacob
" Martha E. Died: 1/18/1855, Age: 1 yr., 11 mos., 22 days
daughter of Jacob & Mariah
An Indiana Historical Marker for the John Kimberlin Farm was dedicated on September 24, 2001 in Nabb, Scott County, IN. The descendants of John Kimberlin, a Revolutionary War veteran and the first person to purchase land in what in now Scott County in 1804, attended the dedication.