Scott County, Indiana
Genealogy and History
Bedford (IN) Star, March 27, 1875, p. 2.
The following circular of information is being sent out by J. H. Smart, the state superintendent of public instruction.
In answer to inquiries concerning recent amendments to the school law, the following synopsis of the more important changes is furnished for the information of school officers and teachers:
l. The county superintendent will be appointed by the county commissioners in June.
2. The compensation has been reduced to three dollars per day.
3. Applicants for license are required to pay a fee of one dollar for examination, and no per diem can be charged for time spent in such examination.
4. The number of days allowed for visiting schools is to be determined by the board of county commissioners provided the number of days so allowed shall not be more than one-half the number of schools in the county.
5. The number of days allowed for office work cannot exceed twenty.
6. School trustees of cities and incorporated towns are to be appointed in June instead of in April.
NOTE: These amendments went into effect on the 9th of March 1875. There are other amendments to the school law not given in this circular, because they are of general interest. An edition of all amendments will be printed and circulated as soon as possible. County superintendents, to whom this circular will be sent, are requested to send a copy to each county auditor, to the secretary of each school board, to the clerk of each common council, and to the clerk of the board of town trustees.