Search billions of records on

Welcome to

Scott County, Indiana
Genealogy and History

a small part of the INGenWeb and USGenWeb Projects


Lynching of Marion Tyler

Contributor: Randi Richardson

Indianapolis (IN) State Journal, December 28, 1898, p. 8.


He Was an Extra on the Streetcar Lines

Marion Tyler lived in Indianapolis about ten months. At the time of the shooting, he was employed by the street car company as "first extra." When he first came here he and his wife lived with her mother at Oliver and Marion avenues. Some months ago they separated, and Mrs. Tyler's brother came on from Scottsburg and assisted the wife in moving back there. One night Tyler went to his home and found the place deserted. It is said by those who knew him here that after that night he was a changed man.

After his wife left him, Tyler boarded with the family of Joseph Cochran at 2115 North Illinois Street. The Cochrans say he talked a great deal about his wife. He appeared to lay his troubles at the door of his mother-in-law and once brought a libel suit against her, afterward dismissing the case.

On the day of the Scottsburg shooting, Tyler left the Cochran home about seven o'clock in the morning. On the Saturday night before he had complained that he had been feeling badly but remarked that "it would all be over and settled one way or the other by another week's end." He said to Mrs. Cochran on the morning he left that in case he did not come back, she could burn his clothes, sell them or throw them away just as she pleased. He appeared in a very serious mood when he bid the family goodbye.

Those who knew Mrs. Tyler say she was a good looking young woman of about 27, or more than ordinary intelligence. She was a widow at the time she was married to Tyler in Scottsburg. Her first husband was Benjamin Garriott who died several years ago. She and Tyler were married in the spring of 1897. Shortly after their marriage, they came to this city. Tyler, it is said, was about 30 years of age. He was a large, good-looking man. Some of his acquaintances in West Indianapolis say that trouble between him and his wife arose over money matters. It is claimed that Tyler made a strong effort to get hold of his wife's money and this caused an estrangement. They separated in West Indianapolis on July 18.