From Scott Co. Historical Society Newsletter
Located about 5 miles northeast of Austin, Wesley Chapel was first organized in 1852 in a log cabin across the road from the present day structure. The land was purchased from William D. Martin for $5.00 which also included a plot of land for a cemetery. The first Sunday School was organized in 1871.
Mrs. Sarah Bovard in her diary of the late 1800's writes of walking to church at "Chapel" from her home near the present day Hardy Lake, about 4 miles.Ê Her husband would accompany her as far as Quick Creek, help her cross, and then return home.
In 1898 the present structure was built when the log cabin burned. Built with funds contributed by the membership and native, donated timber,the land was donated by Adam Wiesman and included a cemetery plot. The church was dedicated in December 1898. J. R. Cross was pastor. In the early 1900's a second cemetery plot was donated by Anna Keith.
The church has been extensively improved over the years.