Early Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana
This page is a "project in the works" for our Genealogy Society newsletter. It becomes a resource for all genealogist as we finish it on this webpage.
Tippecanoe County Area area Genealogy Society members are working on this list of early school houses of Tippecanoe County. This database is an effort to help others find, share and preserve this early history.
Most information came from history books and from past issues of our TIPCOA newsletters. We would love your help, send a scanned photograph and text file with additional information or webpage that I can link. Help us all learn about this history.
E-mail: TIPCOA SCHOOL INFO
Thanks to Lynne Ream for donating photographs from her Clarks
Hill book. She has also updated photographs on early Churches.
If you have a few items to donate like School memorabilia you can send them to me;
[L.A. Clugh 3912 Monitor Mill Drive, Lafayette, IN 47905] or bring them into the
Tippecanoe County Historical Association. Open Thursdays and Fridays 1 to 5 pm.
A few resources in the Alameda McCollough Research Library
Schools in Fairfield Townships ~
No. 2. Pleasant Spring,
Fleming, closed in 1901
No. 4. Ely,
No. 5. Huffman, burned in 1900, not rebuilt
No. 7. Frog Pond,
No. 9. Elston, a 2-room school.
This school is on the site
occupied by a 1-room district school until 1889.
A box-board school house stood there and was called
“Red-Eye,” probably due to
the fact that the house was painted
No. 10 Springvale
City of Lafayette Schools
Eastern, later renamed Jenks
was a one-roomed school until about 1890, when a two-roomed house was constructed,
but this was closed in 1914.
No. 1. O'Dell, was a one-roomed school until about 1890, when a two-roomed house was constructed, but this was closed in 1914.
No. 2. Granny's
No. 4. Sugar Grove, a three-roomed brick of which but two rooms were ever used, and closed in 1914. There was one teacher employed in this school in 1885; two in 1889; and two in 1872.
No. 5. Center, in which it was hoped during the 80's to start a high school for the township. It seems not have succeeded and was closed in 1889.
No. 6. Haywood, or Goose-Nibble, closed in 1914.
No. 7. Sycamore, closed in 1913.
No. 9. McMillan, burned in 1913, and the children transported to No. 4.
No. 10. Locust
located half mile east of the new centralized school was closed many years ago.
Schools in Lauramie township
No. 1. Concord, sec 2, closed 1906
No. 2. Little Brown School, sec 13, closed 1906
No. 3. Prairie, sec 23, closed 1904.
No. 4. Boggs, sec 35, closed 1905
No. 5 Clarks Hill , sec 23
No. 6. Cartmill, sec 12, closed 1890
No. 7. Yorktown, sec 21, closed1906
No. 8. Brushwood, sec 30 closed 1902
No. 9. Pierce, sec 27, closed 1901
No. 10. Stockwell Collegiate Institute, sec 8, closed 1890
No. 11 Monroe, sec 10, closed 1911
No. 13. Redwood, sec 28, closed 1906
No. 14. Swedish "Swede", sec 35, closed 1902
No. 15. Young, sec 35, closed 1906
No. 16. Fidler, sec 1, closed 1906
No. 17. Swamp Angle, sec 36, closed 1890
SCHOOLS, Contributed by Thelma
Stockwell Schools: The public school system traveled a rocky course until the 1850 era. At
the start money was a basic problem. The constitution provided for public
schools, “Wherein tuition will be gratis and equally open to all,” but
failed to set up an effective means of financing them. In 1829 Mr. Carmine opened a subscription school, the first in the township,
and although a very rude affair, it was, like many of that period, the spot
where bright intellects received their early impressions and training. The
new state constitution in 1851 and the Free School Act of 1852, which
provided a new taxing system, sent
Stockwell Collegiate Institute picture loaned by Leamon Family to Thelma Morgan
The town of The students were expected to attend religious services every morning
and church and lectures on Sunday. There is no list of those who attended this
Institute. Some of the Principals for this Institute were: Rev. Henry Godden Jackson, J. A Richard,
A. R. Brown, J. P Rouse, R. D. Utter, J. G. Laird, H. A. Merrill and Mr. Owen.
The students were expected to attend religious services every morning and church and lectures on Sunday. There is no list of those who attended this Institute. Some of the Principals for this Institute were: Rev. Henry Godden Jackson, J. A Richard, A. R. Brown, J. P Rouse, R. D. Utter, J. G. Laird, H. A. Merrill and Mr. Owen.1895 Academy was razed. New school had been built. It took 160,000 brick to build. The new school was dedicated
The next school built in
The next school built in
Photo: The last school
Schools in Perry Towship
1. Whistler or Heath
(brick house 1830-1888)
3. Cynthiana, at Monitor
(High School 1902-1911)
Walters / Rabbit Track,
No. 7. Yost-Warwickm, closed 1911
No. 8. Brodie,,closed 1914
No. 9. Lone Sugar, (1 maple tree in school yard), closed 1914
Coffee Run (beginning
No. 11. Number 11, closed 1889
No. 13. Gushwa, closed 1901
Source: Brainard Hooker,
(The First Century of Public Schools of
Schools in Randolph township
Romney, had a 1 roomed school until 1866. Two teachers employed as late as 1890.
Shoemaker, Whipple, closed in 1903
No. 3. Yauch,
Lofland, closed in 1903
Harter, Niptight, closed in 1902
Hardscrabble, The Rosey, South Raub closed in 1904
The Hurdle, closed in 1902
No. 7. Mintoine, closed in 1909, last district school.
The first school in
No. 2. .
.There were two district schools in Dayton in 1864, lots sold 1872, after Township School Tower School opened.
Royal/ Bartmess, located in section. 7 - log school closed 1866, later school closed
Paste Board, located in section 1 - closed ca. 1910
Vore-Bausman, located in section 18 - closed 1904; later called Elliott
Wyandotte, located in section
21 - closed 1916
Forest Park/Ireland -located in section 23 - closed 1910
Coulter (Center Grove in 1875) located in section 13 - closed 1902
Funk-Newcomer - located in section 35 - open in 1916
No. 10. Salem
Peters - located in section 33 - still open in 1916
No. 11. Elliott - located in section 19 - (closed
when house moved to
southeast of No. 10, and was a log school.
Clapper's School was probably identical with No. 7, and was a log
school house in 1875. Supt. W. H.
Caulkins reports visiting the last log school house in the county in 1875, and
it number was seven in
Culver's School was located southeast of No. 10, and was a log school. Clapper's School was probably identical with No. 7, and was a log school house in 1875. Supt. W. H. Caulkins reports visiting the last log school house in the county in 1875, and it number was seven inSheffield
Schools of Shelby township
No. 1. Fairview
, Powers, Buck, closed in 1905
No. 2. Silver “
No. 3. Westfall, closed 1904
No. 4. Montmorenci
No. 6. Buckeye, closed in 1907
No. 7. Asbury, erected 1911, still in
No. 8. Comesky, closed in 1907
No. 9. Colfax, still in operation (1917)
No. 10. Levering “Mount
No. 11. Williamson, closed in 1913
No. 12. Best “Bluff” School, closed in 1911
No. 1. Hog
Point, wasl in operation in 1916
Pretty Prairie, closed in 1906
No. 3. Ash Grove (McCormick in
1874), closed in
Salem, a two-room school
Grove, still open in 1916
Downing, 2 teachers in 1889, still open in 1916
10. Mill, (1916)
11. Deer Creek, closed in 1906
12. Stewarts Corner, closed 1910
13. Centennial, closed in 1910
No. 14. Shaw, closed 1910
Schools in Union township
No. 2. Newton
No. 3. Bennett/Lutz School, section 9, closed in 1903
Institute 1851, section 28, closed in 1911
Schools of Wabash township.
Octagon “Round” School, section 16
(next to cemetery)
(next to cemetery)
No. 10 Number
Ten, , (Grange and now a church)
, (Grange and now a church)
No. 12 Fox
Den School, section 22, closed 1906
City of West Lafayette Schools
Schools of Washington township
No. 1. North
Union, closed in 1902
No. 3. Shigley, closed in 1908.
(called Waymire in 1873) closed 1902.
No. 7. Stranahan,
closed in 1902
No. 8. Wikle,
closed in 1902
No. 9. Sugar
Creek, closed in 1901
No. 10. Stair, closed in 1901
Schools of Wayne township
sec 30, closed in 1913
Buck - Canal Bluff, sec 29 ,
closed in 1881
sec 5, closed in 1889
Top, sec 18, closed in 1903
,sec 13. Two teachers in 1866, two in 1870, two in 1890, one
teacher in 1876 and one in 1885.
sec 26, closed in 1913
sec 27, closed in 1911
Hall, sec 6, closed in 1902
sec 3, closed in 1915
Marks/ Corn Bread, sec 34, closed in 1901
Ground Hog Slide/Cheesman, sec 25, closed in 1902
Pinhook, sec 31, closed in 1909
Schools of Wea township
No. 1. Brady, Reser, sec 11 on SR 52 & 350 S
No. 2. Reser/Fisher, sec 9, closed 1904 - 150 E & 350 S,
No. 3. Lehman, sec 8, closed 1915 - West of Old Romney Rd. & 300 S
No. 4. Ray/ Hall, sec 17, closed 1904
No. 5. Earl/Kenny, sec 15, closed 1903 - 400 S near 250 E
6. Campbell-Ash-Roudebush or
No. 7. Roudebush "Green Hill" sec 34, closed 1904 - 500 S near SR 43 S
No. 8. Talbert, sec 32, closed 1911 - SR 43 S & 700 S
No. 9. McCoy/Spring Grove, sec 27, closed 1913 - 300 E & 600 S
No. 10. Chicken Coop, section _?, closed 1903 - 250 S near 250 E.
DeHart - 700 S near 450 E (could this be Ray/ Hall school?)
Wea High School about 1911
School locations: Campbell 200 E &
750 S, Brady SR 52 & 350 S, Reser 150 E & 350 S, Leaming W of Old Romney
Rd. & 300 S, DeHart 700 S near 450 E, Kenny 400 S near 250 E, Greenhill 500
S near SR 43 S, Talbert SR 43 S & 700 S, Spring Grove 300 E & 600 S,
Chicken Coop 250 S near 250 E. These
began closing in 1903 with the Chicken Coop, Kenny and Spring Grove. The last one, Leaming, closed in 1915. In 1896 the first building on Wea’s
present site was erected. It
contained two rooms and housed a three-year high school program. Two more rooms were added later, and in
1899 Wea’s first graduating class emerged.
Soon after, Wea changed to an eleven grade school taught by two teachers. In 1971
Maps and Schools shared and linked on Google Earth for this area.
© 2010 Tippecanoe County Area Genealogical Society
All rights reserved