Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
The ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-NINTH INFANTRY,containing Company K from Vermillion County, was recruited from the Tenth Congressional District during the winter of 1863-'64, redezvoused at Michigan City, and was mustered into service March 1, 1864, with Charles Case, of Fort Wayne, as Colonel, and Charles A. Zollinger, of the same city, as Lieutenant Colonel. Of Company K, John Q. Washburn, of Newport, was Captain; Joseph Siimpson, of Highland, First Lieutenant, and the Second Lieutenants in succession were Thomas C. Swan, of Clinton, Joseph Simpson, of Highland, William F. Eddy, of Warsaw, and James Roberts, of Clinton. Henry J. Howard, of Toronto, was Sergeant. Corporals -- Jasper Hollingsworth, Granville Gideon and John W. Nixon, of this county, besides others from other counties.
After marching a great deal, the first battle in which the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth regiment engaged was the severe contest at Resaca, opening the celebrated campaign of Atlanta. This was a great victory for the Union troops. The next battle was that at New Hope Church. Before and after this, however, there was almost constant skirmishing, in very rainy weather. July 19, 1864, the regiment was engaged in a severe fight near Decatur, Georgia, where they lost heavily. Soon afterward they were in the fight at Strawberry Run, where they lost twenty-five men, but enabled General Hascall to turn a position which our forces, a brigade of General Schofield's corps, had failed to turn the day before.
Thence, until mid-winter, the regiment were kept busy guarding and engaging in skirmishes. November 29 occurred the battle of Franklin, where the enemy were repulsed with great loss. During the latter portion of the winter they were marching and skirmishing around near the coast of Virginia and North Carolina, and engaged in the battle of Wise's Forks, where the enemy met with signal disaster. The regiment ws engaged in provost duty about Raleigh during the summer of 1865, and August 29 was mustered out of the service.
CONCLUSION.The foregoing is of course but a meager outline of what the brave patriots of Vermillion County did for their country during the last war; and those who did not go to the battle-field did their duty also, in giving moral support to the Government and laboring with heart and hand in raising material supplies and comforts for those in the field. Soldiers' aid societies, county and township levies, etc., were forthcoming in due time, and the people of this division of the commonwealth were not behind in those noble and terribly self-sacrificing offices which a gigantic insurrection devolves upon them.
It would be a pleasure were we able to print here a list of the soldier dead of Vermillion County in glowing colors; but a list only of those in Vermillion Township has been compiled, and we concluded that unless we could get all we had better not print any. It is to be hoped that the Grand Army of the Republic in this county will be able in the course of time to complete the list.
RAILROADSCHICAGO & EASTERN ILLINOIS.
Although railroad lines running east and west through Vermillion County were projected as long ago as 1847, the north and south line was first completed, is the most important in the county, and will therefore be our first topic under this head.
The division from Evansville to Terre Haute was built as early as 1853-'54; but the link through this county, connecting Terre Haute with Danville was not completed until it was taken up by Josephus Collett, Jr., in 1868-'69. This wealthy and enterprising gentleman, with the assistance of O. P. Davis, Nathan Harvey, William E. Livengood, Joseph B. Cheadle and others. held rousing mass meetgins throughout the county, when they explained the advantages of the road and the feasilbility of building it with a very light tax. But little opposition or indifference was manifested. All the townships in the county, in 1869, voted for a two per cent tax -- the limit of the law -- or, rather, one per cent. in addition to the one per cent. voted by the county, provided it should be needed.
While this enterprise was pending, a few men elsewhere organized themselves as the "Raccoon Valley Railroad Company," ostensibly to build a road from Harmony, Clay County, to a point on the State line near the road-bed of the old "Indiana & Illinois Central Railroad Company," passing through Clay, Parke and Vermillion counties; but it was generally supposed by the citizens here that that was merely a ruse, just prior to the vote to be taken on the north and south line, to defeat the latter. Additional discouragement was also derived from other projected east and west lines, notably the narrow-gauge route through Eugene Township, in which the people along the line felt much interest.
The ensuing election, however, gave a decided majority for aiding the north and south line, then called the "Evansville, Terre Haute & Chicago Railroad." This, under the management of Mr. Collett was completed in 1870, to the great joy of the peo-
|Copyright ©1996-2014 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.