Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
All the above newspapers, except the Argus, were printed upon the same press.
During the summer of 1887 Mont. L. Casey started "Casey's Siftings," as an organ laboring for the "elevation of morals and horse-thieves," and as the only "religious" paper in the county and the "best advertising medium on earth," published every Friday evening, "the Lord permitting," and on Saturday morning "any way."
It seems that the Argus-eyed journal has come to stay, having a clear field and running steadily. It is a "free, untrammeled newspaper for the people," handicapped by no idiosyncrasy. In connectiion with the paper, Mr. Bishop has also a good job office.
Lucius O. Bishop was born in Clinton, a son of Francis M. and Melinda (Anderson) Bishop, April 17, 1859. Approaching the years of manhood he began the study of law in the office of Henry A. White, in his native town, but, before completing his course, he, in partnership with Mont. L. Casey, leased the printing office of the Clinton Herald, in 1879, since which time he has been engaged as a journalist and job printer, as above related. He is a rising young man, and being endowed with energy and mental activity, he is destined to make a mark in this world of life. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows, and takes an active interest in the literary societies and other local enterprises of the community.
LATE ENTERPRISESThe Clinton Building and Loan Association was organized in March 1882, and is still alive. William L. Morey is president, and J. W. Robb, secretary.
Clinton Building and Loan Association No. 2 was organized January 1, 1887, with a capital stock of $50,000. David McBeth, President; J. W. Robb, Secretary; and W. A. Hays, Treasurer.
The Clinton Natural Gas Company was organized in the spring of 1887, with a capital stock of $2,000 to $4,000. C. Mathews, President; John Whitcomb, Vice-President; W. H. Hamilton, Secretary; N. C. Anderson, Treasurer The other directors are J. J. Higgins, Decatur Downing, J. E. Knowles, C. B. Knowles and W. A. Hays. The material for the derrick, etc., is now (June) on the ground, and the company intend to commence drilling within a few days, in the western portion of the town.
EDUCATIONALThe first school-house in Clinton Township, as elsewhere described, was a log structure of the most primitive kind, located at the Davidson hill, a mile west of town, when the only school books were the English Reader, Webster's Elementary Spelling Book and the New Testament, and sometimes a copy of Daboll's Arithmetic. Since then a remarkable growth of the present free-school system has taken place In the meantime, according to the character of the respective periods, two or three attempts have been made toward the establishment of special or select schools of an advanced order. For example, just previous to the war, Myram G. Towsley's Military Institute and the Farmers' College, which went down on account of the war coming on. Part of the building a large frame, was afterward converted into an opera house, and the wings into dwelling-houses.
The present fine school building, of six rooms, was erected in 1881, at a cost of about $8,000, including seating, furnishing and the ground. The enrollment last year was 368. The school is divided into ten or twelve grades, and prepares its graduates for admis-
sion into the State University. The principal is J. H. Tomlin, who has six assistants.
SOCIETIESFreemasonry was organized in Clinton previous to D. A. Ranger's arrival here in 1843, but interest in it declined and the charter was surrendered.
Jerusalem Lodge, No. 99, F. & A. M., received its charter May 29, 1850, and has ever since then been kept alive. The charter members were -- Sylvester Redfield, Worshipful Master, who afterward moved to Nebraska, John N. Perkins, Hiram Barnes, John R. Whitcomb, Benjamin R. Whitcomb, William S. Price, James Gazsowuy, James McCulloch, Nathan Sidwell, J. J. Moore and William Barrick. The present membership is fifty-six, with these officers: James Robert, Worshipful Master; Robert B. Bailey, Senior Warden; Jasper Frisk, Junior Warden; N. C. Anderson, Treasurer; D. A. Ranger, Secretary; H. B. Dudley, Senior Deacon; John Horney, junior Deacon; and William Hughes, Tyler.
Amant Lodge, no. 356, I.O.O.F., was instituted November 16, 1870, with about twelve members, who have increased to about seventy-five. The present officers are -- A. V. McWethy, Noble Grand; J. H. Black, Vice Grand; Frank Swinehart, Recording Secretary; W. H. Hill, Permanent Secretary; John H. Birt, Treasurer. The past grands number twenty-three. The lodge has an unusually nice room for their meetings.
Clinton Encampment. No. 143, was chartered May 16, 1876. Present officers -- W. H. Hill, Chief Priest; W. H. Cale, Senior Warden; Harry Swinehart, Junior Warden; J. M. Blagg, High Priest; W. F. Wells, Permanent Secretary; Ed. H. Johnston, Scribe; J. H. Black, Treasurer.
Vermillion Lodge, No. 182, Degree of Rebekah, was organized July 9, 1877. It has at present about forty active members. The officers are -- Mrs. Anna Davis, Noble Grand; Miss Ella Bishop, Vice-Grand; Mrs. Katie McWethy, Treasurer; Lillie Birt, Recording Secretary; Miss Lulu Allen, Permanent Secretary.
P. R. Owen Post, No. 329, G. A. R., was instituted April 15, 1884. (See a preceding page for a sketch of Dr. Owen). The Post was organized by Captain R. B. Sears, of Newport, mustering officer, with about twenty-five or thirty members. They now number fifty-four, and are in prosperous condition. Officers -- L. H. Beckman, Post Commander; Cornelius Quick, Senior Vice Commander; T. B. Wells, Junior Vice Commander; S. Weatherwax, Adjutant; J. H. Wilson, Quartermaster; William Kelp, Chaplain; D. A. Ranger, Quartermaster Sergeant; Enoch Whitted, Sergeant.
Council No. 3, Sovereigns of Industry, was organized May 5, 1874, with twenty-five members. James A. Greenwalt was elected President; David McBeth, Vice-President; J. C. Campbell, Secretary; T. Victor, Treasurer; S. B. Blackledge, Lecturer; J. C. Hall, Steward; D. Moore, Inside Guard.
The A. O. U. W. organized here eight or ten years ago; soon had thirty or forty members, but in about a year they practically dibanded. Perry Jones, superintendent of a coal mine in the vicinity at the time, was master workman of the lodge. He moved away some years ago. Probably he constituted the soul of the lodge, and when he went away the body died.
Some eight years ago an orchestra was organized in Clinton, which is still efficient, and more recently a cornet band, led by White and Wells.
|Copyright ©1996-2016 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.