Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
and considerable city property, including about a half interest in the Opera House block. Mr. Wright was united in marriage October 6, 1836, to Miss Margaret Nickle, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1816, and was a daughter of James Nickle, one of the county's pioneer men. Of the six children born to them but three are living -- Lucius H., of Clinton Township, was a soldier in the Eighteenth Indiana Infantry during the war; Mrs. Narcissus Payn, of Clinton Township, and John O., of Wichita Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Wright were pioneers of Jackson County, Iowa, locating there in 1838. One year later they removed to Galena, illinois, where Mrs. Wright kept a boarding house two years, Mr. Wright being engaged in smelting and hauling lead ore. They then returned to Jackson County, Iowa, where Mr. Wright followed farming six years. Returning to Indiana with a little capital, he purchased eighty acres of land in Vigo County, and there resided three years, when he removed to Edgar County Illinois, where his wife died. Mr. Wright was subsequently married to Miss Mary Chunn, who was born in Clinton Township, Vermillion County, in 1827, a daughter of John T. Chunn who was a Major in the war of 1812, in the Virginia Volunteers. To this union six children were born, all of whom are residing in Clinton Township or city. They are as follows -- David, Mrs. Margaret Smith, a widow, Mrs. Naomi Hale, Mrs. Maria Van Dyne, Ulysses G. and William C. In 1858 Mr. Wright again returned to Vermillion County, since which time he has been a resident of Clinton Township, and during this time he has witnessed the marvelous growth and development of the county, in which he has done his full share. On settling in the county he bought 300 acres of land, and by his good management he added to his real estate until he had 1,400 acres. He has given his children a good start in life, and yet owns about 700 acres, and all his property has been acquired by fair and honorable means. Mr. Wright is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In politics he was in early days a Whig, an ardent supporter and admirer of Henry Clay, and since the organization of the Republican party has voted that ticket.
JOHN McNEILL, deceased, formerly a resident of Perrysville, was born in Tuscarora Valley, Pennsylvania. After living for a time in Loudoun County, Virginia, and Frederick County, Maryland, he came, in November, 1836, with his family to Perrysville. While residing in Maryland he was regarded as one of the foremost citizens of Frederick County, filling many honorable positions in society. For many years he was justice of the peace, and so clear was his head in legal matters, and so impartial his judgments, that no appeal was ever taken from his docket. He was an intense anti-slavery man and an active member of the Maryland Colonization Society, the object of which organization was to colonize the colored people in Liberia, Africa. He was once offered the position of Probate Judge of Frederick County by the Governor and Council, -- a life appointment, -- but declined it, having determined to move West. He was well posted in Governmental matters. Was a prominent and useful member of the Methodist Episcopal church, well informed as to her policy and doctrines. After he came to Perrysville he purchased a lot for a church building, and was one of the leading spirits in the enterprise of erecting the church. He was united in marriage with Hannah Mayne, and they had a large family of children noted
for their energy and industry. Mr. McNeill's father, John McNeill, emigrated from Scotland previous to the Revolutionary war, in which contest he joined the patriot forces and remained with them to the end. In one engagement he was shot twice, and he bore his honorable scars to the grave. During his term of service he was promoted to the position of chief baggage-master. He had married Miss McVey a lady of Scotch decent, who had charge of the family while he was in the army.
HON. GEORGE H. McNEILL of Perrysville, Indiana, son of John and Hannah (Mayne) McNeill, was born in Middletown Valley, Frederick County, Maryland, February 22, 1818. His father was of Scotch descent, and his mother of German descent. His father was a prominent and highly respected citizen of Frederick County, Maryland, and while residing in that county hel several offices of profit and honor. Born upon a farm, the subject of this sketch had only such opportunities as were offered in the country schools, taught principally during the winter seasons, and the use of a well selected general library, owned by his father, through which means he acquired a fair education, and formed a taste for general reading, which has followed him through life, and enabled him to become well posted in many branches of science and literature, ranking him among the able self-made men of the country. In the fall of 1836 he, with his father's family, emigrated to the then far west, and located at Perrysville, on the Wabash River, in Vermillion County, Indiana, where his father died in 1843, and his mother in 1856, and where his only living brother, John R McNeill, now resides, his other brother, Judge C. F. McNeill, having recently died. To his honored parents, who were old style Methodists, and were members of that church almost from its first organization, the McNeill family are greatly indebted for whatsoever is good or honorable that may pertain to them. Mr. McNeill has resided in Perrysville ever since he came to this county and was always actively engaged in some business. When young he read medicine extensively with the view of entering into its practice, but concluded to go into the drug business and did so in 1845 which he has continued up to the present time and made it a decided success. He has always kept a complete assortment, and of the very best, and managed the business with such care, and so thoroughly trained his assistants, that during his forty-two years in business, not a single accident has occurred from putting out wrong articles. In 1845 he married Rebecca Kinney Beers, one of a family remarkable for their natural ablities, and noted as the best of cooks and housekeepers. The result of this marriage was three sons -- Milton M., William Kinney and George H. Milton H. McNeill resides in the city of Danville Illinois, is farming largely, and doing a successful hard-wood lumber business. He married Ruhama Russell Bell, daughter of Wm. M. Bell. William K. McNeill remained with his parents aiding in the home business and is now trustee of Highland Township. George H. McNeill, Jr. died in his infancy. Mrs. McNeill took charge of the drug business in 1856 and ran it for ten years, managing it with ability, training her sons to the business, learning them habits of industry, and inculcating principles of honor and morality as only a mother can do. Her home is a model one where hosts of people have been kindly entertained. For forty-two years past she has been an active member of the Methodist
|Copyright ©1996-2016 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.