Vermillion County Indiana Genealogy
Shiloh under General Lew Wallace, and also took part in the battle of Champion Hills and siege of Vicksburg. He was then transferred east, and participated in the engagements at Winchester and Cedar Creek. He was mustered out of the service in August, 1865, having escaped without wounds, but returning home with his health somewhat impaired. Mr. Carter was united in marriage to Miss Fanny Moffatt, a daughter of Walter B. Moffatt, of Perrysville. She died in 1869, leaving at her death a daughter named Grace. After the war Mr. Carter engaged in farming in Highland Township, which he followed successfully until 1886. In the fall of that year he was elected, on the Republican ticket, recorder of Vermillion County, as successor to C. S. Davis, who had filled the office about nine years. Since assuming the duties of the office Mr. Carter has given entire satisfaction, making an efficient and popular county officer.
FRANCIS M. BISHOP of Clinton, was born in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, December 27, 1833, but since boyhood his life has been spent in Indiana, and since 1852 at Clinton. His father, Hiram Bishop, was born at Manchester, Connecticut and early in life he was left an orphan. He was then adopted by Mr. Uriah Childs, and while in his teens was thrown upon his own resources. He learned the carpenter's trade which he followed until within a few years of his death. He was married November 25, 1830, in Connecticut, to Miss Sabrina Chapman, and several children were born to them, among whom was Edwin C., who was killed at the battle of Cedar Creek, Virginia, while bravely carrying the colors of his regiment, the Eighteenth Indiana Volunteers; Mrs. Sarah Vannest, who died at home in 1868, leaving one son named Edwin; and Francis Marion, the subject of this sketch. Hiram Bishop came with his family to Clinton, Vermillion County, in 1852, to construct the wagon bridge across the Wabash, which still stands as a monument to the mechanical skill of an early day. He purchased property in Clinton, and became a permanent citizen. He was an active, enterprising man, and did much toward building up the town, erecting a number of residences and public buildings. He was a member of the Odd Fellows order. He was a consistent Christian, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He was a man of strong convictions, and great moral courage, and was among the few who early, fearlessly and openly espoused the cause of abolition, and waged war upon slavery. He died at his home in Clinton, March 12, 1875. his widow, Mrs. Sabrina Bishop, was born at Ashford, Connecticut, July 1, 1810, inheriting a strong New England constitution which has carried her through the many vicissitudes of life for seventy-seven years. She is still actively engaged in business at Clinton. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is highly esteemed by all who know her. Francis M. Bishop, whose name heads this sketch, after reaching manhood, learned the marble cutter's trade at Terre Haute, and subsequently established marble works at Clinton, which he conducted until 1868, since which time he has been engaged in painting and decorating. He was married in 1858 to Miss Melinda Anderson, of Perrysville, this county, who died in February, 1871, leaving three children -- Lucius O., now editor and proprietor of the Saturday Argus at Clinton; Edwin A., engaged in a mercantile establishment at Frankkfort, Indiana, and Ella. Mr. Bishop was again united in marriage in Sep-
tember, 1875, taking for his second wife Miss Jennie Highfill, of Newport, Vermillion County. Two children have been born to bless this union, their names being Floy, and Ethel. His second wife died at her home in Clinton June 28 1886.
JOHN H. LINN, manager of the "Flour Exchange," Dana, Indiana, is a native of Ohio, born in Hocking County, October 9, 1843, a son of Adam Linn, who was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, his father, Joseph Linn, being a pioneer of that county. John H. was raised in his native State on a farm, remaining at home until after the breaking out of the Rebellion; when, at the age of eighteen he enlisted in Company I, Severty-fifth Ohio Infantry. he served three years and nearly three months, and participated in several active engagements. During the time of service he was eighteen months in the city of Baltimore, Maryland, on special detail, and finally discharged at Jacksonville, Florida. After his return from the war, he taught school in Ohio for eight years, then came to Montezuma, Indiana, where he was employed for six years in the grain business by Col. E. M. Benson. While in Montezuma, he was assesor of Reserve Townshp two years and twice elected clerk of the Town Board. He moved to Dana in 1881, where he has since lived. He is a staunch Democrat, and noted for his unshrinking fidelity to the principles of sobriety, integrity, industry and economy. He is now president of the Town Board of Dana, and enjoys the honor of being its principal incorporator. Mr. Linn was married February 25, 1866, to Nancy J. Crawford. Four children have been born to them, two of whom are living -- Carrie A. and Ralph W. Their eldest daughter, Alice M., died aged sixteen years, and Flora, their youngst daughter, at the early age of one year and one month. Mr. and Mrs. Linn are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
MILO J. RUDY, or Perrysville, is a son of Jacob Rudy, who was a native of Switzerland, and came to America when a boy with his father, Martin Rudy. Jacob was the eldest of four children. He was reared in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, where he learned the shoemaker's trade, and was married to Catherine Lilly. In the fall of 1833, he moved to Indiana, and the following year to vermillion County, and settled in Highland Township, about a mile south of Perrysville, where for several years he worked at his trade, and the latter part of his life was engaged in farming. About 1842 he moved to Wisconsin where his wife died soon after, and the family then returned to Vermillion County, and here the father died in the fall of 1880. He was married the second time after his return to this county. To his first marriage were born four children, three sons and one daughter. Martin, who resides on the homestead, and Milo J. being the only surviving members of the family. Catherine and John died in childhood. Mr. Rudy was an industrious man, and although he was poor when he came to this county, he worked hard at his trade and with the money earned invested it in real estate, which advanced in value, and made him wealthy, enabling him to leave his sons considerable property. He possessed in a large degree that spirit of economy and energy charactistic of the German people, and was a worthy, respected citizen. Milo J. Rudy was born in Vermillion County, Indiana, in 1840. He was married in 1869 to Miss Sophia S. Seas
|Copyright ©1996-2014 INGenWeb Project
Material that is copyrighted by others appears with permission, or is used under the provisions of fair use.
The copyrights of any contributor's material remain with the contributor.