INGenWeb.org

   COORDINATORS:



338 - History of Vermillion County Biographical and Historical Record of
Vermillion County, Indiana
died in this county; Nelson C., the subject of this sketch, and Mrs. Margaret Payton, living in Helt Township. Nelson C. Anderson commenced his business career in 1856 as clerk in the mercantile establishment of John Whitcomb, with whom he remained a few years. In 1860 he was married to Miss Ann M. Fisher of Clinton, and the year following his marriage he engaged in farming. He subsequently re-entered the employ of Mr. Whitcomb, becoming his partner in 1866, when the business was conducted under the firm name of Whitcomb, Anderson & Co., the late A. L. Whitcomb being the silent partner. Mr. Anderson finally sold out his interest in the business, and in company with the late General H. D. Washburn who had been appointed Survey-General for Montana, and others, started for Fort Benton. On account of the low water the company spent three months on the Missouri River, when failing to go farther by river Mr. Anderson returned to Vermillion County, reaching his home in July. He then bought back his interest in the mercantile business, and after several years of successful trade the partnership was dissolved, Mr. Anderson retaining the grocery stock and trade. This business he has largely increased and it now aggregates over $40,000 per year. As a member of the firm of Shirkie & Co. Mr. Anderson is developing a coal mine a half mile west of Clinton. He is also a member of the firm of Hamilton & Anderson, the leading grain operators in the county, and also dealers in agricultural implements. Besides the business above mentioned he has large interests in improved city property in Clinton, and is classed among the prosperous men of the county. He has been the architect of his own fortune, having acquired all he has by perservering energy and good business management, and he well knows how to use his capital. Mr. Anderson lost his wife by death in 1861, and in November, 1865, he married Miss Thurza Nebeker, who is a sister of Seymour and Dr. Henry Nebeker. They are the parents of one child -- Shelden S., born June 23, 1870. In politics Mr. Anderson has always affiliated with the Republican party. Vermillion County has no more active, public spirited man than N. C. Anderson, the subject of this sketch, and none are more highly respected.



PROF. FRED RUSH, principal of the Dana schools and surveyor of Vermillion County, was born in Clinton, March 26 1858, a son of James Rush, of Helt Township, a pioneer of Vermillion County. He was reared a farmer but was given a good education, completing his studies at the National Normal School, at Lebanon, Ohio. He has been engaged in teaching about ten years and is one of the most successful teachers in the county. In the fall of 1884 he moved to Dana and took charge of the public schools and the same fall was elected county surveyor and was re-elected in 1886. September 13 1882, Mr. Rush was married to Anna M., daughter of Jackson Hinkle of Farmersburg, Indiana. They have had three children, two of whom are living -- Philip S. and Donald B. Mrs. Rush is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Rush is a member of the Odd Fellows order.



CHARLES W. WARD, of Newport, is one of the well-known members of the bar of Vermillion County. He was admitted at Newport about 1869, but practiced little at this place until 1875, when he


Biographical Sketches - 339
formed a partnership with Robert B. Sears, which terminated a year or two later. He then became associated with J. C. Sawyer in the practice of law, and still later with Judge Joshua Jump, and following Joshua Jump came Josephus C. Davis. The present firm of Ward & Gibson was formed in November, 1886, and both members of the firm being prominent in the legal profession, they have succeeded in building up a large and successful practice. Mr. Ward dates his birth in Bradford, New Hampshire, March 10, 1848, a son of Sylvester Ward, who died when our subject was a child of three or four years. In 1857 Mr. Ward came to Indiana to make his home with the family of his uncle, Senator O. P. Davis. He attended school for some time at Bloomingdale, Parke County, and in 1863 he entered the high school at Perrysville, Vermillion County, In 1864 he returned to New Hampshire and spent two years at the New London Academy, returning to Indiana in 1866, and continued to reside in the family of Mr. Davis until he began the study of law. Mr. Ward was united in marriage January 12, 1870, to Miss Florence Montgomery, a daughter of Dr. William G. Montgomery, of Warren County, Indiana, and a granddaughter of Stephen S. Collett, one of the old and honored pioneers of Vermillion County.



DANIEL SHUTE, a representative citizen of Highland Township, residing on section 20, is a son of Richard Shute, who came to Vermillion County among the early pioneers, locating near the present site of the Howard Chapel in Highland Township, in October, 1829. Richard Shute was a native of England, coming to America when a lad of ten years, his family settling in Ohio in an early day. He was married in Lawrence County, Ohio to Hannah McCartney, and to them were born nine children, five of whom were born in Vermillion County. Of the children yet living four sons, Daniel, John, Ephraim and John, are residents of Highland Township, this county. Richard Shute died January 12, 1853, his widow surviving almost twenty years, her death occurring August 26, 1872. Daniel Shute, whose name heads this sketch, is a native of Ohio, born in 1820, being about nine years of age when his parents immigrated to Vermillion County. He distinctly remembers the appearance of the country sixty years ago, and has witnessed the many wonderful changes which have caused the wilderness to be transformed into well cultivated farms and thriving towns and villages. His wife was formerly Miss Jane Gouty, a daughter of Henry Gouty, one of the old pioneers of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Shute are the parents of seven children -- Henry, married to Mary Rodgers; David, married to Mariah Foster; Elizabeth E., wife of Samuel Rodgers; Melvina, Mary, wife of Scott Virgin; Joseph M., married to Ella Richardson, and Sarah, wife of Lewis Johnson. In politics Mr. Shute affiliates with the Republican ticket.



JAMES B. ILES, an active and prosperous farmer and stock-raiser of Eugene Township, is a worthy representative of one of the old pioneer families of Vermillion County, his father having settled on the farm now occupied by our subject in the year 1828. James B. was born on this farm in a log cabin near the site of his present residence, June 4, 1829, a son of Jacob and Hannah (Stephenson) Iles, his father born in Rockingham County, Virginia, May 10, 1791, and